New Construction Stub Out

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve Kim

Reaction score
I want to install a sink in the laundry room of our new construction home. I opted for pre-plumb and the builder got paint all over the stub outs as you can see in the first 3 photos.

Luckily I snuck into another home still being built and took photos of the rough in as you can see in the last 2 photos.

I noticed that the water lines are PEX with clamps on the ends, but it also looks like a smaller PEX tube is sitting inside a larger PEX tube. Is this common?

If I want to add a shut off valve to each of them, which PEX do I cut off? The smaller end or do I cut off somewhere on the larger diameter PEX. If the larger, do I have to worry about the smaller PEX that's sitting inside the larger PEX?

Also are both of the larger stub outs below the water lines both drains? I'm assuming this are not PEX and instead PVC. How do I remove those caps? They look like some sort of solvent/glue is on there. Do I just cut them off? Not sure what the screw on one of them is either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200807_081207.jpg
    20200807_081207.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 340
  • 20200806_220445.jpg
    20200806_220445.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 271
  • 20200806_220438.jpg
    20200806_220438.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 306
  • 20200807_060600.jpg
    20200807_060600.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 312
  • 20200807_060605.jpg
    20200807_060605.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 342

Reach4

Reaction score
I noticed that the water lines are PEX with clamps on the ends, but it also looks like a smaller PEX tube is sitting inside a larger PEX tube. Is this common?
I don't think so, but I like it. The outer pex is serving as a protector. However the pex looks like it being used as a sleeve.
If I want to add a shut off valve to each of them, which PEX do I cut off? The smaller end or do I cut off somewhere on the larger diameter PEX. If the larger, do I have to worry about the smaller PEX that's sitting inside the larger PEX?
Good question. That looks like a problem. The fitting and ring are going to go on the inside pipe. But how do you get access? Can you push the blue outer pex into the wall some? If so, that would solve that problem. Or does the blue pex pull off? Maybe you pull it off, cut it to length, and push it back?

Also are both of the larger stub outs below the water lines both drains? I'm assuming this are not PEX and instead PVC. How do I remove those caps? They look like some sort of solvent/glue is on there. Do I just cut them off? Not sure what the screw on one of them is either.
They don't look like PVC; they look like metal to me. But your photos of the under-construction house made me wonder about the vent? I don't see a vent. Could it be they somehow expect you to attach an AAV? Sounds a bit hokey. Maybe sneak back in, and take a side view photo.

I would guess that one of the drain candidates is a cleanout, but I cannot rule out that they expected you to put an AAV on the upper one and use the bottom one for the drain. But that is horizontal, so that should not be the case.

https://ipscorp.com/plumbing/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Spec_PVCABSTechnoCaps.pdf
Looks like it cements on. How far is that "Techno cap" from the finished wall? I would guess you cut the pipe between the cap and the wall. The paint on the outside of the pipe would seem to be a problem for gluing on a trap adapter to plastic, but again, that did not look like plastic to me.

I would ask your builder about the things that remain mysteries. I am not a pro.

Also, make note of the markings on the trucks outside of the construction, especially a plumber. That info could be useful at some point.

Last edited:

Steve Kim

Reaction score
Thanks Reach for the insight. See below for my responses.

I don't think so, but I like it. The outer pex is serving as a protector. However the pex looks like it being used as a sleeve.

Good question. That looks like a problem. The fitting and ring are going to go on the inside pipe. But how do you get access? Can you push the blue outer pex into the wall some? If so, that would solve that problem. Or does the blue pex pull off? Maybe you pull it off, cut it to length, and push it back?

So I used some 91% isopropyl alcohol to remove the paint and looks like the sleeves move back and forth freely. The only thing I can think of why the builder did this is because they knew that they were just gonna spray the room with paint and the sleeves were used to protect the water lines? Lol. See attached pics.

They don't look like PVC; they look like metal to me. But your photos of the under-construction house made me wonder about the vent? I don't see a vent. Could it be they somehow expect you to attach an AAV? Sounds a bit hokey. Maybe sneak back in, and take a side view photo.

Why I didn't check my restrooms is beyond me, but I took a photo of the lines under one of the sinks and looks like the same setup as the laundry pre-plumb. Out of the bottom 2 pipes the one on top seems to be the drain with an AAV attached while the bottom is a clean out.

I would guess that one of the drain candidates is a cleanout, but I cannot rule out that they expected you to put an AAV on the upper one and use the bottom one for the drain. But that is horizontal, so that should not be the case.

https://ipscorp.com/plumbing/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Spec_PVCABSTechnoCaps.pdf
Looks like it cements on. How far is that "Techno cap" from the finished wall? I would guess you cut the pipe between the cap and the wall. The paint on the outside of the pipe would seem to be a problem for gluing on a trap adapter to plastic, but again, that did not look like plastic to me.

Based on the photo from my restroom sink, I should be able to cut the drain pipe. Touching and tapping that tube in the laundry makes me say that it is not metal. The bottom pipe it looks like they put in a different plug?

I would ask your builder about the things that remain mysteries. I am not a pro.

Good idea.

Also, make note of the markings on the trucks outside of the construction, especially a plumber. That info could be useful at some point.

Attachments

• 20200807_120502.jpg
    20200807_120502.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 292
  • 20200807_120508.jpg
    20200807_120508.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 273
  • 20200807_115048.jpg
    20200807_115048.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Out of the bottom 2 pipes the one on top seems to be the drain with an AAV attached while the bottom is a clean out.
So you will do the similar for the laundry sink, I think, if the upper pipe is low enough to fit under the laundry tub.

From what people have posted, I don't like those Accor stop valves that you have, but I would leave them. For the new stop valves, there are various choices including SharkBite as well as compression valves. The new ones should be quarter-turn.

Helper Dave

In the Trades
Reaction score
Besides metal drain pipes in that other house (yours are just ABS?), and sleeving the PEX for whatever reason (we just scrap paint off PEX lines with our fingernails ... lol. It's super easy to get off), looks like a builder trying to cut costs in weird places.

Those stops are auto-change when we come across them, but go ahead and leave them alone until you have issues, or need to change something. Pretty sure the only reason they get installed in the first place is builders getting deals on bulk orders.

I really don't understand the lack of vent piping in a new build, though. Is there some reason houses in your area can't have real vents?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are there windows in that room? The reason I ask is that pex is UV sensitive, and they tell you to make sure it is covered up within 30-days of installation. The paint may serve that purpose, but it needs to be clean to make any seal when you add a valve.

There are various Sharkbite valves that you could use as the supply stops for your sink https://www.sharkbite.com/products/brass-push-supply-stops

You can also use a compression valve as was indicated. To use a compression fitting, you need to make sure you buy it with the reinforcement tube https://www.brasscraft.com/product/for-12-in-nom-tube/ or use a valve that has a PEX barb on it, and use a crimp ring (need a special tool to crimp the ring to make the seal).

If they really expect you to use an AAV, IMHO, that was kind of sloppy on new construction. I'm surprised that the inspector allowed that. They generally are only allowed when an atmospheric vent is not possible, but with a little planning, that should not be an issue on new construction.

Terry H

In the Trades
Reaction score
It’s a mortal sin to stick anything else out of the wall other than copper. I don’t appreciate it.

Uponor has some cool systems to secure the pex and make it look decent but I’m just not with it yet.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive roughed in for future and not even stubbed into the room left it behind drywall. its not sloppy its future. or perhaps never to be used. you can put a aav under sink no big deal. a little water base paint on stubs no biggie.

Steve Kim

Reaction score
Besides metal drain pipes in that other house (yours are just ABS?), and sleeving the PEX for whatever reason (we just scrap paint off PEX lines with our fingernails ... lol. It's super easy to get off), looks like a builder trying to cut costs in weird places.

Those stops are auto-change when we come across them, but go ahead and leave them alone until you have issues, or need to change something. Pretty sure the only reason they get installed in the first place is builders getting deals on bulk orders.

I really don't understand the lack of vent piping in a new build, though. Is there some reason houses in your area can't have real vents?

Going back to the other home being built looks like the drain pipes are ABS as well.

I agree with you all on the accor stop valves. Not a fan, but will keep them until it becomes a problem.

I think with most builders in Vegas now, AAV's are becoming the standard. I'm guessing it takes less time for them?

Steve Kim

Reaction score
Are there windows in that room? The reason I ask is that pex is UV sensitive, and they tell you to make sure it is covered up within 30-days of installation. The paint may serve that purpose, but it needs to be clean to make any seal when you add a valve.

There are various Sharkbite valves that you could use as the supply stops for your sink https://www.sharkbite.com/products/brass-push-supply-stops

You can also use a compression valve as was indicated. To use a compression fitting, you need to make sure you buy it with the reinforcement tube https://www.brasscraft.com/product/for-12-in-nom-tube/ or use a valve that has a PEX barb on it, and use a crimp ring (need a special tool to crimp the ring to make the seal).

If they really expect you to use an AAV, IMHO, that was kind of sloppy on new construction. I'm surprised that the inspector allowed that. They generally are only allowed when an atmospheric vent is not possible, but with a little planning, that should not be an issue on new construction.

No windows in the laundry room.

Will most likely use shark bite push to connect valves.

Like I mentioned in my previous response, I think most builders here in Vegas are going the AAV route. My inspector didn't say a word about it being an issue.

Steve Kim

Reaction score
It’s a mortal sin to stick anything else out of the wall other than copper. I don’t appreciate it.

Uponor has some cool systems to secure the pex and make it look decent but I’m just not with it yet.

I'm a fan of metal myself, but it is what it is for now.

Steve Kim

Reaction score
Ive roughed in for future and not even stubbed into the room left it behind drywall. its not sloppy its future. or perhaps never to be used. you can put a aav under sink no big deal. a little water base paint on stubs no biggie.

I bought a standing room inventory home and the stub out was included. Wasn't planning on having a sink in the room, but since it's there, why not.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I bought a standing room inventory home and the stub out was included. Wasn't planning on having a sink in the room, but since it's there, why not.

It is what is! pretty easy to complete looks to be fine to me. Here in southern california I think is about like Vegas they slam these things together and they are still expensive . I think it should be very workable. copper is not common on new houses here on 500k to million dollar homes . mostly pex just some people put a copper stub out at sinks and toilets. I didnt plumb my house but I have all pex 17 years and the stub outs being plastic not my concern . my concern is whats inside the walls under the slab and in the attic . holding up well so far

Reach4

Reaction score
Going back to the other home being built looks like the drain pipes are ABS as well.
There was a layer of (drywall?) dust, and together with the yellow sunlight lighting, contributed to my misinterpreting the photos.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks