New construction main waterline size 900' from meter

Users who are viewing this thread

ANP

Reaction score
Hello -

I am doing a little research about what size water line I need to run from the meter to the house. I have read several posts here, and I can't quite come up with the calculation myself (FYI I have no plumbing background).

Here is the info I do have:
- Fixtures : 5 faucets, 2 shower/tubs (1 rainhead), 1 washing machine, 2 outdoor spigots, 1 dishwasher.
-Meter is set at the road is a 1" meter. Main line the meter feeds off is 6"
-pressure at the street is 58psi
-minimal fall from the road (net maybe 2')
-all main fixtures on on ground floor with only the secondary bath upstairs (main floor will set minimum crawl space off the ground)
- house sits 900" from the road.

Any advice on the best size line/configuration to feed the home to maintain as much of the 58psi as possible? Also, is this enough pressure or do I need to consider an option to increase that pressure?

Thanks for taking the time to look over my question.

Reach4

Reaction score
Any advice on the best size line/configuration to feed the home to maintain as much of the 58psi as possible? Also, is this enough pressure or do I need to consider an option to increase that pressure?
"As possible"? I suspect you you mean economically practical. If you can keep the PSI at 30 or better it is OK for the house. If you can keep it at 40 or better, that is great.

See the top calculator at http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/hazen-williams-water-d_797.html For simplicity, you can leave the c - design coefficient at the default, or you can change it for better accuracy. You will see that the flow rate is important. 20 GPM might be a reasonable number, although typical flows often stay under 10.

You could go 2 inch ASTM D2239 SIDR poly pipe, but 1.5 inch diameter or even smaller would be cheaper. That pipe is often used in well work. It is larger inside than the same nominal diameter of PEX. http://www.jmeagle.com/pdfs/onesheets/PureCore_one-page-slick_v1.pdf has dimensions.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Friction (and thus working pressure - not static) increases as the pipe size drops and the flow rate increases. 900' is a long way to go, and you'll want a bigger pipe than if it were shorter. From just a gravity thing, the pressure changes at 0.43#/foot of elevation change. With no flow, even a soda straw would have the same pressure, but once you start to actually use water, bigger will prevent excessive pressure drop. Excessive flow rates can actually erode the pipe over time, too.

Plumber01

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to do an accurate fixture unit count and then use table 6-6 in the Universal Plumbing Code book.

If none of that makes sense, we need an accurate list of fixtures in the house. You noted 5 faucets but need to be more specific. Lavatory faucets? Kitchen sinks, laundry sinks? You didn't mention how many toilets either.

All that said, I bet you're looking at a 2" main to the house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks