New Construction...help with well vibration!

Users who are viewing this thread

JDean

Reaction score
i have just recently built a new home in western Nebraska. had a well drilled with a M 1.5 3 phase 25GS15 Gould’s pump. Since day one of operation, we hear a loud humming/vibration whenever we turn the water on to any part of the house...the humming sounds like somebody driving into the yard when your sitting in the house. I have felt the main water line coming into the house and you can feel some vibration. We also experience some pressure drop when we go to use the shower...we will turn shower on and it will come on with pressure, then lose pressure to almost nothing for 30-60 seconds...then gain pressure back to full and everything will be fine. Any help with these problems is greatly appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
To be clear, the humming happens when you use water, and not just when the pump runs, right? How big is your pressure tank?

Your water static level is what, 100 ft down?

JDean

Reaction score
To be clear, the humming happens when you use water, and not just when the pump runs, right? How big is your pressure tank?

Your water static level is what, 100 ft down?
The humming happens when we turn on any water source...shower, flush a toilet, turn on a faucet...it’s like the motor/pump turns on that’s when we hear the humming...static level is very close to 100ft.

Reach4

Reaction score
The humming happens when we turn on any water source...shower, flush a toilet, turn on a faucet...it’s like the motor/pump turns on that’s when we hear the humming...static level is very close to 100ft.
How big is the pressure tank? If you don't know, try posting a photo that includes that and the pressure gauge, pressure switch, and the line from the pump.

If you turn off the pump while there is good pressure, do you get a noise when you draw water?

I am bothered by the 30 to 60 dead time, but I think knowing something about your pressure tank setup and area could help form an idea.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is a variable speed type pump. Vibration is one of the problems. When you vary the speed it is going through the resonant frequency of every component in the pump. With a normal full speed pump it is balanced to run with no vibration at 3450 RPM. Start varying the speed, and you get vibration at different speeds, called critical speeds. If the vibration is bad enough they can lock out or skip the resonant frequencies. Also the low pressure after you start using water sounds like the ramp up speed of the drive is not fast enough. Too fast it pulses, too slow you see delay in water pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks