New construction heating advice wanted

Users who are viewing this thread

Leeelson

Reaction score
Looking for advice. Building a 2700 sq ft vacation home in rural Northern Vermont. Home will be used about a month by up to 10 people, mostly in the summer but occasionally in winter (temps down to -20 F). Need to keep house from freezing in winter. Only utility is electrical ($.19 kwh) but could install propane. Will have efficient wood stove. For cooling in summer, plan to use Mr. Cool heat exchange system. This can supply some heat also but efficiency drops with temperature, so likely not sufficient for vacant winter low level freeze protection. Ample room in basement.

Questions:

1)For water heating (including possibly radiant heating) I assume propane makes more economic sense and heats faster.

2)Water heating for 2 bath/showers and dishwasher could be (2?) tankless water heaters. Do these require more maintenance than other methods? Is one large heater better than 2 smaller ones given distribution requirements?

3)Are tankless water heaters good for radiant heating system or would it make more sense to do a boiler, possibly with an indirect water heater tank?

4)Is there another option that would be better?

5)Any sizing suggestions?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your have only electric then you don't really want tankless. Just get an electric water heater and put electric heat in the floor. It'll be expensive to heat in the winter, but that's what solar panels are for.

Fitter30

Reaction score
STOP LP IS THE ENERGY TO KEEP THE HOUSE FROM FREEZING UP. Not electric. Two ventless lp stoves pour rv antifreeze in toilets and all traps. Nothing is dependent on electric. Drain down water all water. Heat goes to cold.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
STOP LP IS THE ENERGY TO KEEP THE HOUSE FROM FREEZING UP. Not electric. Two ventless lp stoves pour rv antifreeze in toilets and all traps. Nothing is dependent on electric. Drain down water all water. Heat goes to cold.
Huh? Radiant electric heat is more than capable of heating about anything. Solar panels make it cheaper than it used to be and it's pretty reliable if installed correctly. A backup generator would be great for all kinds of things and would take care of any apprehension.

Are we going for cheap, or comfy?

Phantomracer

Reaction score
Looking for advice. Building a 2700 sq ft vacation home in rural Northern Vermont. Home will be used about a month by up to 10 people, mostly in the summer but occasionally in winter (temps down to -20 F). Need to keep house from freezing in winter. Only utility is electrical ($.19 kwh) but could install propane. Will have efficient wood stove. For cooling in summer, plan to use Mr. Cool heat exchange system. This can supply some heat also but efficiency drops with temperature, so likely not sufficient for vacant winter low level freeze protection. Ample room in basement.

Questions:

1)For water heating (including possibly radiant heating) I assume propane makes more economic sense and heats faster.

2)Water heating for 2 bath/showers and dishwasher could be (2?) tankless water heaters. Do these require more maintenance than other methods? Is one large heater better than 2 smaller ones given distribution requirements?

3)Are tankless water heaters good for radiant heating system or would it make more sense to do a boiler, possibly with an indirect water heater tank?

4)Is there another option that would be better?

5)Any sizing suggestions?

For hot water, we have been using electric tankless for 27+ years. If you get an appropriate sized unit, it will work well. Since it only comes on when calling for water, there should be no spike in your electric bill. Really no different than running an electric stove.

Going from a failed tankless inside my oil boiler, the money saved in oil far exceeds any additional cost of the electricity.

If you take 1-2 showers a day, run the dishwasher, do a load of laundry a week, I doubt you will notice any difference in your bill.

For reference , we have a Hubbell 280-3 (good enough for North Canada!)

Unlike gas units, there is no need to regularly flush these as there is nowhere for any precipitates to collect. Install and forget it.

You do need a beefy electric system though (200a service and 4 breakers free).

Installation, while not recommended, is DIY friendly. I did mine as I couldn't get a plumber to come out to do the job.

It was our only choice as we have no gas. Didn't want a big electric tank. So it is a good option for some

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The traps Storm traps and main after a rain it will rinse out the anti freeze

Also some anti freeze is considered toxic and the local DEP may impose a fine unless they use

non toxic antifreeze - Amazon.com​

https://www.amazon.com › non-toxic-antifreeze › k...

Splash RV/Marine Antifreeze, 1 gal, Plastic Bottle, -50 Point Freezing (F) 1 ... AMRS-31400R Starbrite Sea Safe Non-Toxic Anti-Freeze, 50F 1 Gallon.

I totally agree with LP as long as the tanks are capable of enough fuel to keep the house from a freeze up

Electricity may have a black out and fail so possibly a small generator LP should be considered

I drive to Vermont several times a year and it gets really cold there

The area is amazing especially following route 7 and taking route 22 back to NYC

Fitter30

Reaction score
Huh? Radiant electric heat is more than capable of heating about anything. Solar panels make it cheaper than it used to be and it's pretty reliable if installed correctly. A backup generator would be great for all kinds of things and would take care of any apprehension.

This is a vacation home electric heat works great in power outage and no one is there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks