New Construction: Double Sink Rough In

Users who are viewing this thread

chrisf01

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting on a forum in a long while, so I apologize in advance if I am not following the rules of the road. I have done a fair amount of research and reading on this site and it is very informative, but I cannot seem to find a direct answer to my issue. I am hoping it is a quick review and appreciate in advance any and all feedback folks have, as this was the only source for information like this I can find.

Issue Background: Our family is in the process of working with a production builder on a new construction home. I am generally handy and can fix most things but rough trades and construction are not my area of expertise, so I am hoping to get some guidance from you all. To be a short as possible, my issue is with the way the plumbing for our master sinks was installed - pictures are below 1) is our setup and 2) is how all other homes in the development have been configured. I brought the concern that we only have a single stack drain line to the builder during pre-slab and he said he would check it out. Nothing was done and the slab and framing have completed and now the rough trades have begun. I checked in this week with him and he said nothing to worry about and that it meets code and that he would not change the configuration. I didn't love that response, so I was able to stop and grab another plumber working in a different lot. He took a look and acknowledged he did not understand why they would set it up this way and stated most if not all of the new builds he does have a dedicated stack per sink for better drainage. I believe it is a code-complaint 2" drainage line. Given that all other homes are done the other way it feels like to me that corners were cut to save materials or quickly do the job - realize it might not be the case but just doesn't make sense that all others are done a different way.

My questions are:
1)
Are there any issues I should be aware of with the single stack drain for two sinks? Are there specific benefits of having two?
2) Are there any issues with clogging or siphoning I should worry about in the future?
3) Is "meeting code" a reasonable answer? If so then why would this be the only house set up this way?

I appreciate any responses or guidance you can give me. I am determining how hard I should/want to push on this and it would be good to know if it is or could be an issue or if it is a moot point and I am over reacting.

Thanks again!
Chris

1) Our house

#1.jpg

#2) All other - (this specific picture is same exact floorplan)

#2.jpg

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
A single stack for 2 lavatories is common, I don't know why anyone would run 2 separate drains and vents, it's a waste of labor and material. Just make sure the tee fitting is a true "fixture fitting".

abs_fixture_cross.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
1) Are there any issues I should be aware of with the single stack drain for two sinks? Are there specific benefits of having two?
2) Are there any issues with clogging or siphoning I should worry about in the future?
3) Is "meeting code" a reasonable answer? If so then why would this be the only house set up this way?
I am not a plumber. A cleanout above the double sanitary tee would take care of the snaking worries. Without a cleanout, a double fixture fitting is better.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the above picture and the plumber did use what appears to be a 2" waste line

If there is ever a stoppage a drop head cable would easily work

For safety sake, the fewer penetrations through a floor are better, fire stopping for example

Also, PVC is a known carcinogenic in case of a fire so why have more lines to do the same job one line can do?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just to beat and old horse. We would always install a single pipe and a double fixture cross for a double vanity UNLESS there were structural conditions that prevented it or plans to have back to back fixtures for a bonus bathroom on the other side of the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks