New circuit for gas water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

MrStop

Reaction score
I need to run a new circuit for a gas water heater and softener. The water heater draws less than 8amps and the softener .06 amps, so I plan on running a new 15 amp dedicated circuit. I know there are specific NEC requirement for wiring an electric water heater, but are there for a gas water heater? If not, what are the best practices (e.g. hard wire, or whip cord with plug)?

MrStop

Reaction score
It just needs power for the electronics & ignition I'm guessing. It doesn't come with a cord to plug into a wall receptacle. I'm assuming that is the way to go?

Reach4

Reaction score
"The water heater draws less than 8amps"

I expect the bulk of the power is to drive the power vent fan.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
must be a "cheap company" if they can't a afford a piece of wire, male plug, wire nuts, and connector, since the heaters I install DO have those.

MrStop

Reaction score
must be a "cheap company" if they can't a afford a piece of wire, male plug, wire nuts, and connector, since the heaters I install DO have those.

That's assuming the outlet is within the length of the provided cord. I agree that it is kind of a pain.

Reach4

Reaction score
Direct wiring might be chosen as a way to avoid the GFCI outlet requirement. A GFCI tripping on a WH would not be nearly so bad as for a sump pump, furnace or refrigerator. For a water heater, a GFCI false trip would not be destructive.

MrStop

Reaction score
Check out the Leviton SmartLock Pro GFCI's. Here's a self-testing one that has an audible alarm to alert you if there is a problem:

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Regardless of the code "requirement", I would install a "single device" outlet and plug the heater in to it. I would do the same with ANY critical device, such as a refrigerator or freezer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks