New cast iron pipe for shower--what drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Latticrete makes a trowel on sealant/fabric system. I think the Kerdi is easier. You can watch a video of them installing Kerdi at www.schluter.com. As mentioned earlier, Wedi stuff is neat, too, and it adds insulation, which can be a bonus in a basement. WIth Wedi, you could start in the morning and have the tile on by evening if you are good at tiling. You'll be longer if you need to make your preslope yourself.

mh718

Reaction score
Thanks. Um, my original question on this thread was how to connect a shower drain to a cast iron pipe. Everyone said I had to switch to plastic (at least I think that's what I was told). I just looked at Zurn.com and saw two cast iron shower drains that seem to have a "no hub" option.

Model FD2252 and Model FD2254

On JohnBridge, there was an old thread about a "jiffy gasket" or some such thing that slips over the cast iron pipe to seal the shower drain on.

So, if anyone here knows, I'll return to a variation on my original question...how do these cast iron drains attach to the cast iron pipe? Do they all use the gasket described on JohnBridge?

And thanks, I have watched the Kerdi videos, etc. But if I don't have to use a plastic drain, I think I'd rather not.

It's also okay if you all don't know the answers to my questions. I will go back to the plumbing supply place (the same ones who were able to tell me in great detail how to weld a brass flange onto a lead toilet bend and order the correct one for me). It's just that it's after 6 and they are closed now.

I will document all of these things and post here for future people like me who may be confused by the seemingly arcane NYC plumbing practices. We are so old school here.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's a distinct advantage of using something like Kerdi or Wedi - there's almost nothing to absorb and hold moisture. In a conventional shower, you have an inch or more of deck mud on the floor and 1/2" cbu on the walls. With the Kerdi or Wedi, all you have is the tile - it dries out faster, and is less likely to harbor mold in the end. Plus, the whole thing is basically waterproof.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
mh718 said:
I have brand new cast iron pipe. What are my options for a shower drain that connects to cast iron?
Hire a plumber
mh718 said:
Secondly, how much must the cast iron pipe stub up to accept the shower drain?
Hire a plumber
mh718 said:
I guess I want to know what my options are. That would dictate whether I do the most or least labor-intensive option.
Hire a plumber
mh718 said:
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Marty
Your welcome

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
CI drain

mh718 said:
... how to connect a shower drain to a cast iron pipe. Everyone said I had to switch to plastic .... "jiffy gasket" or some such thing that slips over the cast iron pipe to seal the shower drain on. ....
It's also okay if you all don't know the answers to my questions. ...
always a good idea to restate the original question from time to time. Personally, I don't know the answer, and I don't want to go websearching. Keywords are drain (floor or shower) and CI for Cast Iron. I just did one quick search, using --- CI brass drain "2"" --- as keywords, and I saw Zurn drains. I don't know much about them. They looked like they were all clamping drains, and that would need the PVC liner.

David

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks