New case of water hammer when we flush the toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Canada_DIY_Plumber

Reaction score
When we flush our toilet, we are hearing loud water hammer somewhere in the walls that goes on for a good 5-10 seconds. I have confirmed it is when waster is supplied to the toilet and not a venting noise by turning off the water supply valve and then flushing, and then turning the supply back on. The noise is directly correlated with water running in the supply line.

When I run water in the kitchen sink and then flush the toilet, I don't experience this noise.

About a month ago, we added a thermal expansion tank near the hot water tank (we previously didn't have one) but the sound just showed up today.

Any ideas? Perhaps my old hammer arrestors on the washing machine have gone bad (they are close to the toilet.) I've never seen a hammer arrestor installed on a toilet supply line but is that an option I should consider?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water hammer problems can be hard to diagnose , My opinion is the "problem " is almost never a bad hammer arrestor. A toilet shouldn't need one. but adding one could fix it, as could , replacing the fill valve .
I don't think I've ever repaired a hammer by replacing the arrestor. but you gotta be willing to try a lot of things it can be frustrating to solve

Reach4

Reaction score
Water hammer is a single bang when the flow stops. I think a different term, such as flutter, machinegunning, chatter, vibration, might apply.

Let us know how that adjusting your stop valve works out.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
5-10 seconds sounds like a bad shutoff at the wall. The loose rubber washer flutters while filling. Sometimes you can open the valve all the way and that helps. If not, replace it.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score

Canada_DIY_Plumber

Reaction score
Mystery solved: My wife had used the hose recently and didn't completely close the valve. The noise appears to have been originating at the anti-siphon valve at the hose bib and then reverberating throughout the house. I think the solution is to just turn off the tap at the hose bib when we aren't using the hose.

Reach4

Reaction score
Mystery solved: My wife had used the hose recently and didn't completely close the valve. The noise appears to have been originating at the anti-siphon valve at the hose bib and then reverberating throughout the house. I think the solution is to just turn off the tap at the hose bib when we aren't using the hose.
Now that is a weird one.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
easy fix.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks