New breaker panel install

Users who are viewing this thread

Jfomtn

Reaction score
What should I do first?
1 .Run and install wire from meter to main breaker
2.Connect my homeruns to the panel bars
I have the romex pulled thru top of main panel.Seeing if it makes a difference.I only have 7 circuits in this new service detatched garage.Thanks

Afjes

Reaction score
I would suggest
Run and install wire from meter to main breaker. You want to do this first because of the gauge of the conductors feeding the main breaker. It will be much easier to work with the thick conductors when there are no other wires/conductors in the panel. Before you run your circuits to the panel and the panel is installed correctly such as being grounded test to be sure you are getting the proper voltagges at the main breaker. This way if there are any problems again far less wires to move around etc.

As you should be getting a permit and inspection you may not have power to your meter until fter you pass inspection.

You say you are going to run wire from the metyer to the panel. What about the wire from the house (where it connects at the top) to the meter?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
What should I do first?
1 .Run and install wire from meter to main breaker
2.Connect my homeruns to the panel bars
I have the romex pulled thru top of main panel.Seeing if it makes a difference.I only have 7 circuits in this new service detached garage.Thanks
Is this a new meter installation for a detached garage or is it a sub-panel from the main panel in the home? It makes a world of difference.

If this is an all new service entrance, Afges is correct, until you pass an inspection, the power company will not install a meter.

Jfomtn

Reaction score
Yes this is new service.it is not a subpanel.no wire from the house.i will be coming directly from pad mounted transformer underground.i just wired the circuit breaker s.only 7 circuits so I have plenty of room to bend that thick as crap wire.definitley will put it inside the house before trying to bend it cold.Thanks

Afjes

Reaction score
Watch for your bend radius limitations when you are installing the main conductors. There is a limit as to how much of a radius you can bend the wire to meet code. This is why I had said installing the main wire first would have been better and easier to do. To find the bend radius you need to Google the gauge wire you are using and look for bend radius.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is a limit as to how much of a radius you can bend the wire to meet code.
To my knowledge, for equipment operating below 1000V, the requirement applies to equipment design, not to the field installer. So if you are running a conductor size for which the terminals are rated (rather than a larger size and splicing down within the panel), and you take advantage of all the space available, the bending radius is fine.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks