New bathrooms, abandoning old underslab, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Something like below, although it seems a little busy with all the bends.

One more thing that may help: the WC is not subject to the trap weir rule, as it is a siphoning fixture. So you can have your single sloped plane for your horizontal wet vent, and the WC drain could pass over it, then drop down and join on the horizontal. [I think conversely the horizontal wet vent could pass over the WC drain, then gently jog down with a 22-1/2" offset to join the WC drain, but that may be subject to debate.]

Cheers, Wayne

Version2.JPG

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So, height permitting, something like this, where the orange is a 3" line that is just above the green/purple. It joins the parallel purple line using a 45 and a wye rolled up the requisite amount.

Not a huge fan of the shower trap arm doing a 180 like that, but you can't have everything. I think any wet venting of the main shower is going to have a lot of bend like that, so if you want to avoid that, I think you'd need to go back to the shower dry vent.

Cheers, Wayne

Version3.JPG

Mikha'el

Reaction score
So, height permitting
That's the issue - to keep the shower trap in the ceiling I'd have to raise the vent to the point of possibly running out of slope at the lav.
Will try a few more mock-ups, but it's probably going to be cleaner and easier to stick with the dry vent for the shower

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, I haven't thought about the details or drawn it out, but you could consider going back to wet venting the main shower from the main lav. Then use the idea of the main WC starting off higher to allow the shower drain to join the lav drain upstream of the WC.

But agreed, at a certain point it's just easier to add the dry vent.

Cheers ,Wayne

Mikha'el

Reaction score
But agreed, at a certain point it's just easier to add the dry vent.
Yes - due to framing and general complication - it's Option B, dry vent up the exterior wall. In the conservatory, with the lead pipe. ;)

EDIT - nope - found a cleaner way.

Last edited:

Mikha'el

Reaction score
Not a huge fan of the shower trap arm doing a 180 like that, but you can't have everything. I think any wet venting of the main shower is going to have a lot of bend like that, so if you want to avoid that, I think you'd need to go back to the shower dry vent.
Yes, every attempt to wet vent the shower either added too many bends to the rest of the system or ran into framing issues or awkward glue-ups.

I was able to improve on "Option A" by moving the wye downstream, which allowed me to run a 24" trap arm past the wye.
A sweep reverses directly out of the santee, 12" to a 1/8 bend and into the wye.
Dry vent up in the interior wall where it will tee into the ground floor bathroom vent - minimum 6" above the shower flood line.

Everything else is basically per your sketch in post #18 - very straightforward.

Thanks again,
Michael

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks