New bathroom sink drain tailpiece won't stop leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Ron_Jeremy

Reaction score
I've gone down a rabbit hole in order to fix a (seemingly) simple problem. I noticed some water slowly leaking under the bathroom sink. The water was dripping off the bottom of the p-trap (not from the water supply lines) so I replaced everything from the sink pop-up stopper to the drain line coming out of the wall. I don't know how to remove the chrome ring that goes around the sink stopper so I left the original one in there.

I'm still getting some water drops on the test paper I leave under the sink. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the seal between the sink and the tailpiece (black rubber gasket immediately area below the sink).

Note: the water supply lines were not touched because the water landing on my test paper is nowhere near these lines and they also look/feel dry.

I've thrown away the tailpiece packaging so I don't know if I was supposed to use plumber's tape on the threads of the tailpiece. Do you think this is the problem or possibly something else? I've also confirmed that the tailpiece goes beyond the black plastic fitting.

bathroom-sink-plumbing-01.jpg

bathroom-sink-stopper-01.jpeg

bathroom-sink-stopper-02.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Water rolling down the threads from the top is normally prevented by using some plastic safe pipe dope on the threads where it passes through the large rubber washer below the bowl. It's a pretty common problem.

dope-on-drain-threads.jpg

I normally use plumbers putty or stainless putty. Some instructions mention Silicone under the flange.

Last edited:

Ron_Jeremy

Reaction score
Water rolling down the threads from the top is normally prevented by using some plastic safe pipe dope on the threads where it passes through the large rubber washer below the bowl. It's a pretty common problem.
Hi @Terry thx for the prompt reply! Can I give plumber's tape a try? I don't have pipe dope but can buy some if you advise against me first trying with tape.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Sometimes the leak is from the overflow drain holes in the tail piece. If the tail piece is not threaded all the way into the flange, the overflow holes are just at the bottom of the washer & nut where is might weep a little.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Classic problem, with experience we can read the fit on the washer, hole in sink , and kind of tell where problem might be. Terry hit it right though, those threads need dope forget tape. if the washer doesn't fit good in the hole of the sink it cant squeeze tight and be watertite.
Fancy delicate sinks or oddball faucets seem to give more trouble than the cheap stuff sometimes the washer goes completely inside sink hole or darn near

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks