New bathroom renovation pipe gripe

Users who are viewing this thread

City Slicker

Reaction score
Recently, I hired a contractor, who renovated my kitchen, to renovate my bathroom in my mid-rise New York City apartment. My building was built in 1925. He did a great job on the kitchen, and overall, a great job on the bathroom, but his plumber left behind two eyesores that I cannot get him to come back and fix. My pipe gripe is cosmetic. His plumber broke through the newly installed wall tile around the p-trap leaving behind an ugly hole and he installed a Sloan rear spud flushometer with an exposed section of pipe extending from the wall.

p-trap.jpg

exposed flushometer pipe.jpg

Can anyone recommend a 2" long sleeve and a flange that I could install over that pipe myself? Are you aware of any type of flange I could also install myself to hide that ugly hole in the wall with the p-trap? It would have to be something flexible that I could slip over my fixtures which are all in polished chrome.

Reach4

Reaction score
For that first picture, a deep box escutcheon could probably cover that. You would have to disassemble the P trap a bit to put it on. That is usually pretty easy. I don't think they come in a split version, but there could be one available. There should be one IMO.
chrome-box-escutcheon-flange.jpg

I don't know what would fit that second picture.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Search escutcheons and flanges. They come in all sizes, metals, plastic, solid or split.

I'm surprised the plumber left the job like this, looking incomplete.

City Slicker

Reaction score
For that first picture, a deep box escutcheon could probably cover that. You would have to disassemble the P trap a bit to put it on. That is usually pretty easy. I don't think they come in a split version, but there could be one available. There should be one IMO.
chrome-box-escutcheon-flange.jpg

I don't know what would fit that second picture.
Thanks for the suggestion! Much appreciated!

City Slicker

Reaction score
Search escutcheons and flanges. They come in all sizes, metals, plastic, solid or split.

I'm surprised the plumber left the job like this, looking incomplete.
You're surprised ... You can only imagine what I was thinking. 95% of the renovation looks great, but my contractor was seldom around and he had moved on to other jobs before mine was completed. Thank you for the suggestion. It's very, very helpful.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have very old plumbing there. The plumber was able to fix the leaks, and not knowing what you found back of that brass nipple and coupling, at least he got it up and running without tearing out more wall. Frankly, on something that old, touching that can be a gamble. You may be able to spin out the pipe and replace with a nice new one, and sometimes the pipe in the wall breaks off. If that's the case, the tile comes out until you can find a section of pipe that stays intact. Where I live, after sixty years, they bulldoze the home and start over.
On my mother's street, they pay you $1,000,000.00 for a tear down. She only paid $2,500.00 for the lot in 1952. In the last two years they've torn down almost every home and the elementary school and replace with new multi-million dollar homes and a new school.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks