New bathroom reno floor drain keeps backing up

Users who are viewing this thread

Sam

Reaction score
Just completed a bathroom reno. Plumbing company installed the below floor piping. After back filling the trenches, I was unable to get the plumbers back to finish the above floor and venting. Had a retired plumber come over and I tell we what I needed to do to finish the install. He was not happy to hear about how the tub drain was installed. Original company was going to use the lav as a wet vent for the tub and the toilet, with an AAV. The retired plumber said the tub run was too long and would need a vent after the trap. Town inspector did not like the idea of the AAV, so I asked the retired plumber if I could continue the 2" through the roof instead. He didn't see an issue with the path I needed to run to get to the roof.
I am having an issue with the tub causing the toilet to gurgle occasionally and the floor drain has backed up on me twice after draining the tub.
All other fixtures can be ran and I have no issues with the floor drain flooding. The water does raise a bit though.
I am hoping I have a blockage and it is not an issue with the way the pipes were laid under the floor. Just got a drain snake today and will try to snake the drains to see if I hit anything.

Attachments

• Bath-laundry plumbing.jpg
    Bath-laundry plumbing.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 142
  • Bath-laundry plumbing2.jpg
    Bath-laundry plumbing2.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Bath-laundry plumbing3.jpg
    Bath-laundry plumbing3.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 20190702_193527.jpg
    20190702_193527.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 20190702_193518.jpg
    20190702_193518.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 20190702_193506.jpg
    20190702_193506.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 20190702_193458.jpg
    20190702_193458.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 135

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
good luck with that! unless its a complete moron plumbing it. something is plugged up . it could be many causes and hopefully it breaks up easily. now why brand new plumbing got that way Im not taking any guesses. but many reasons none of which are good

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
another comment. I sure dont like the way the washer isdraining to toilet vent but is what it is. Im assuming you poured concrete already

Sam

Reaction score
another comment. I sure dont like the way the washer isdraining to toilet vent but is what it is. Im assuming you poured concrete already
Added a top view with no vents added.

Yes, it is all poured over, job was done in July 2019. I have just been slow with getting the tub in place, we did an entire basement and surprise kitchen reno. I hired this job out because I didn't know enough to comfortably do the job myself and didn't want to pour concrete, only to have to rip it all up.

I did run the snake down the washer's clean out and hit something soft, but it was so brief I wasn't sure if I actually did hit something. The auger also came out clean. The red pipes in the original photos posted are the existing lines from the old bathroom. I flushed the toilet a dozen times, ran the lav for 10 minutes, the tub I ran for a few (scared of another flood), no gurgling on the toilet this time and did 4 loads of laundry; without any floods and the water level did not change in the floor drain. As a test I also disconnected the washer and ran the cold water straight into the drain, fully open for 10 minutes with no change in water level.

Tonight the toilet was used and I see sediment in the floor drain again, which has me believing the drain might have a bad angle or the blockage still exists. The drain did swell a bit, but only about a 1/4". I would assume with the bad grade I should have had some suds in the drain from soap and other debris from the washer?

Something else I have read is that the toilet may not have enough umph, it is a 600MAP and had no issue in the old location, as seen in the pictures.

I have uploaded a new photo, showing just the plumbing and no vents. After reading and looking at drawings, I would have assumed that the floor drain should have had a 3x3x3 wye, with a 3" line ran up to the washer and tub, to a 3x3x3 reduced to 2" for the washer and 1.5" for the tub to drain into. Venting through the 2" for the washer.

Attachments

• Bathlaundryplumbingnovent.jpg
    Bathlaundryplumbingnovent.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 142
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks