New bathroom has sewer smell and drain flies -- WHY???

Users who are viewing this thread

krystal

Reaction score
Toilet, sink, and tub were roughed in about 5 weeks ago in basement; brand new pipes throughout basement. Sink, toilet, and tub are now fully installed. There has been a problem with drain flies from almost day one, as well as a sewer smell. We put a rag in the tub drain, and many fewer flies, but still a smell. Any suggestions? Are we going to need to rip apart the brand new bathroom walls and floors to figure this out?

Seaofnames

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.boilermakers359.org
Sounds like someone forgot some glue in a drain connection or to tighten something down.

Could be a lack of a trap under the tub?

Like kingsotall said, pics would be good of the rough in!!

3m

Reaction score
Most people can smell sewer gas and by going to the different fixtures figure out where the smell is coming from. If this fails you can take a combustible gas detector, I know not everybody has one so you may need to contact a plumber or heat and air man and they can detect where the smell is coming from. Sewer gas has methane in it so the detector will show where its at most of the time, I have seen the wax ring fail and allow gas in under the toilet.If its coming from the tub drain they either forgot the trap or the vent and its sucking the trap dry, if the bathroom isnt used much it may just be the water evaporating out of the trap

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
post pics of the drain lines that are under the floor...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pics will help, but there is only one way sewer odor and drain flies can get into the house. Somewhere there is a dry trap or no trap.

Jay Mpls

Master plumber
Reaction score
Sewer flies only come from satnding water so I believe you have an open pipe draining waste onto the ground.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks