New bath/shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Lee Polowczuk

Reaction score
I am re-doing a bath.... tore the walls down to the studs.

I will have to post a picture shortly....

Right now I have 1/2 inch copper h/c into the existing valve... it's all soldered in.

I will cut that out. The new valve is part of an American Standard Standard collection tub/shower system. It has threaded valves. Can I transition to CPVC...Pex, or sweat new copper? I have mixed success with sweating, but am getting better at it.

Those DIY books show CPVC everywhere.... I have done some PEX with sharkbites..

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Take a piece of 1/2" pipe and see if it will fit inside of the new valve...many allow either a threaded connection, or to sweat in a pipe directly. You're better off with copper in this instance since it is easier to anchor things and sweating is likely to work better than a threaded connection where you can't get to it easily. Take the cartridge out clean and flux everything at the joint, and go for it.

Lee Polowczuk

Reaction score
Re-post with picture

I am re-doing a bath.... tore the walls down to the studs.

Right now I have 1/2 inch copper h/c into the existing valve... it's all soldered in.

I will cut that out. The new valve is part of an American Standard Standard collection tub/shower system. It has threaded valves. Can I transition to CPVC...Pex, or sweat new copper? I have mixed success with sweating, but am getting better at it.

Those DIY books show CPVC everywhere.... I have done some PEX with sharkbites..

i am not opposed to doing the sweating... i think i would have to sweat to a threaded fitting.

also please notice the existing galvanized tied to the copper...this galvanized pipe has a larger outside diameter than the copper... i get great pressure out of this head..and am wondering if it has anything to do with the galvanized. Conventional wisdom says no..but just asking.

dsc0005up4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I'm off to a job...but without going into detail...that valve is awfull!

In one word...if I'd done that valve and the space were too tight to avoid burning the house down....PREFAB! ok ...two more words....HEAT SHIELD!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks