New bath lavatory venting

Users who are viewing this thread

TylerP

Reaction score
Hello,
I am adding a toilet, shower, and lavatory to my unfinished attic space. The current vent stack for the main level fixtures runs out the roof right above the main level bath (maybe 6 inches above the attic floor). Since that is too low and not worth the trouble of tying into, I am going to run a new 3" waste line to the basement and tie in to the main line that goes to the city sewer.

The main reason I'm asking for advice is because the the lavatory I'd like to install is on the other side of the attic from the new 3" waste line and I don't know best how to vent it. The attic has a 12:12 pitch ceiling and the two side walls have a door and a window that would block the vent lines. I guess what I am asking is: can I take a vent up from behind the vanity, along the 12:12 ceiling, across the flat section of ceiling and then back down the oposite 12:12 ceiling and tie it into the new 2" vent for the new toilet and shower? Can the vent go up and then back down before going out the roof? Check out the rough sketch below.

Thanks for the help!
IMG_2356.JPG

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"can I take a vent up from behind the vanity, along the 12:12 ceiling, across the flat section of ceiling and then back down the oposite 12:12 ceiling and tie it into the new 2" vent for the new toilet and shower?"

Vents in the attic can only go up or flat in certain circumstances, like bypassing an obstruction like a window. The main reason is the possbility of condensation in the vent.
Check your local code about venting and distances for flat vents.
Best to find a way to vent the sink thru the roof with its own vent.

TylerP

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought about venting it on its own straight up and out, but don't want a vent to be see from the street. and less holes I cut in the roof the better. Oh well! Thanks for the insight.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello,
I am adding a toilet, shower, and lavatory to my unfinished attic space. The current vent stack for the main level fixtures runs out the roof right above the main level bath (maybe 6 inches above the attic floor). Since that is too low and not worth the trouble of tying into, I am going to run a new 3" waste line to the basement and tie in to the main line that goes to the city sewer.

The main reason I'm asking for advice is because the the lavatory I'd like to install is on the other side of the attic from the new 3" waste line and I don't know best how to vent it. The attic has a 12:12 pitch ceiling and the two side walls have a door and a window that would block the vent lines. I guess what I am asking is: can I take a vent up from behind the vanity, along the 12:12 ceiling, across the flat section of ceiling and then back down the oposite 12:12 ceiling and tie it into the new 2" vent for the new toilet and shower? Can the vent go up and then back down before going out the roof? Check out the rough sketch below.

Thanks for the help!View attachment 44624
Just studor vent it right under the sink inside the cabinet and be done with it. Don't over-complicate your life (http://www.homeservicestriad.com/)

installing-an-AAV-onto-a-drain-pipe-step-3.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks