New basement electrical circuit

Users who are viewing this thread

bondobob

Reaction score
I am running a few new circuits in my unfinished basement. I am planning 8 or 9 duplex on a 20 amp breaker and 12/2 wire. I plan to put a gfci duplex on the first outlet and feed off the load for the remaining downstream. I want the outlets on the wall so I need to run conduit from ceiling down the wall.
Question 1: what size pipe do i need in order to run 5 ft down with 2 12/2 w/ground cables?
Question 2: what is used at the top of the pipe to protect the cable? I found plastic female treaded bushings would these be sufficient?
That would be one scenario.
Or would I be better to put junction boxes at the ceiling for every drop? forgot to mention i am planning emt for conduit

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As I understand it, you should not use a cable for this, but individual wires when running in EMT. More likely something like THHN.

Jbfan74

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Are you going to finish the basement at some point?
Junction boxes can not be hidden.
What i do is run 2 1/2 in pipes to the box, one for the wire in and one for the wire out.
Nothing wrong with cable inside a sleeve of conduit.

bondobob

Reaction score
The only finishing I could ever see would be a drop ceiling, I dont plan to do that though. Could I get away with 3/4 pipe and run both inside? To clearify- cable will be run through joists, only in the pipe for the drop to the box. Also what type of insulator should I use where the cable enters the pipe, if i dont use junction boxes? Im probably going to get a permit for this and some other wiring projects that need to be done.I just want to cross my t's and dot my i's. Thanks

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would use junction boxes in the overhead space so you only need to sleeve one NM cable to each receptacle. Install the junction boxes so that they can be accessible if you wanted to finish the ceiling later.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
I would use junction boxes in the overhead space so you only need to sleeve one NM cable to each receptacle. Install the junction boxes so that they can be accessible if you wanted to finish the ceiling later.
That's what I would do too. For the top of the conduit a plastic bushing or a connector or coupling works fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks