New Basement Drains and Vents

Users who are viewing this thread

PatrickH

Reaction score
basement bath.jpg

Bath.jpg

Thanks for the site!

I have a few questions about installing a new 3/4 bath in my basement. I plan to add a new vanity, toilet and shower. The basement has an existing 1/2 bath rough in that I need to modify in order to move the toilet and install a shower. I've enclosed an existing JPEG and a new rough in JPEG, which shows the modifications. The existing rough in included a toilet outlet, and wet vent from the outside wall. There's a T installed for the sink trap that's been capped off. The vent goes up to the roof from the basement ceiling. I plan to install a 22.5 degree turn in the toilet drain to relocate, and install a Wye fitting to catch my shower. I plan to vent the shower from the same vent that feeds the sink on the other side of the bathroom. A few questions...

1. Does my install look correct?
2. The existing pipe is ABS, and so I plan to order the ABS pipe and fittings from the internet, given I can't find it in the big box stores. Why is that?
3. My existing toilet turn up has a 3" 90 reduced to a 4" drain pipe. Could this be a turning radius issue with a 4" ninety? Can I turn up a 4" 90 for the new install?

Attachments

• Existing Drains.jpg
    Existing Drains.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 235
  • New Bath Drains.jpg
    New Bath Drains.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 269
Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That works for me. Maybe..........
One thing to consider is runing the lav line in 3" with a cleanout at the wall, or perhaps under the cabinet. The lav wet vents the toilet.
After the cleanout, you would continue with 2", with a 1.5" trap arm.

Since you are putting the lav on the other wall, that adds some bends, and removes it from the vent. You would need to vent within 42" of the trap, and no more than 135 degrees of change on it. Nobody is buying the 180.
If you slide the cabinet to the wall, and catch it from the side, that takes of some of that.

The shower looks fine too.

On cleanouts.
Inspectors like them at the end of the run.
If the cleanout isn't there, and the line needs snaking, the toilet gets pulled first.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks