New and Need some Well help

Users who are viewing this thread

Rickenbacker53

Reaction score
Hi name is Barry From Michigan : MY Problem : I have a well and all of a sudden I'm experiencing slight air . Along with pressure loss and sometimes no water at all. My Holding tank is a Well mate 47 gallon unit. It does seem to re-coup after about 30 minutes. Although today I brushed my teeth and shaved . When I turned on the shower to find there was no water left. After waiting roughly 60 seconds the water started to flow, but barely. I have no gauge on the tank for some reason : I do notice the switch goes on and off every few seconds while it's recouping.

So I am getting some water : But am un sure if I have a bad switch bad pump or worn out tank : Any suggestions would be appreciated:

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a well and all of a sudden I'm experiencing slight air .
What does that mean -- air in the water coming out of your faucets?

I presume you have a submersible (down-the-well pump).

As you suspect, your pressure tank has very probably failed. How old is your pressure tank? You should first check the precharge. Turn off the pump, open a faucet, to drain the pressure. What is the air pressure? If water comes out as you try to read the pressure, replace the tank. Otherwise try adding air to 2 PSI

You can get a pressure gauge with a garden hose thread for temporary use.

When you get your new pressure tank installed, have a pressure gauge installed too.

Rickenbacker53

Reaction score
What does that mean -- air in the water coming out of your faucets?

I presume you have a submersible (down-the-well pump).

As you suspect, your pressure tank has very probably failed. How old is your pressure tank? You should first check the precharge. Turn off the pump, open a faucet, to drain the pressure. What is the air pressure? If water comes out as you try to read the pressure, replace the tank. Otherwise try adding air to 2 PSI

You can get a pressure gauge with a garden hose thread for temporary use.

When you get your new pressure tank installed, have a pressure gauge installed too.
Sorry about the unclear post. Was speaking on the Phone and typing simultaneously. Yes it is a submersed Pump : When I first turn on a faucet I get a slight burst of air. But not consistently. If the tank sits awhile with no water running it seems to fill back up. But it's not recouping water fast enough to refill under normal use. My house was New Construction just under 7 years ago. How it past inspection with no pressure gauge is beyond me : My tank is this one : http://store.waterpumpsupply.com/47gallon.html The cap you see on the top of the picture tank in link is removable. That appears to be a point where you can release pressure. (Appears to be a valve of some sort -comes to a point with a collar that goes up and down) However pushing or pulling seems to do nothing . I will try what you suggested. Would a picture or 2 be helpful?

Reach4

Reaction score
I do notice the switch goes on and off every few seconds while it's recouping.

So I am getting some water : But am un sure if I have a bad switch bad pump or worn out tank

Pressure switches are cheap. You can put a tee on a nipple and mount both a pressure switch. Your pressure switch needs to be at the pressure tank.

You need a pressure gauge to diagnose. Buy one. If the pressure switch goes off because the pressure rises to the cutoff pressure, set the precharge to give the tank one last chance. Or get the pressure switch, and new pressure tank and a pressure gauge, since you are going to do that probably anyway.

I think that tank you pointed to has a bladder. The bladder is in theory replaceable. Few actually do that replacement. You want your new pressure tank to have a diaphragm and not a bladder.

Why did you not at least buy a pressure gauge with a garden hose thread?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks