New American Standard Optum Vormax toilet???

Users who are viewing this thread

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
He already has the Optum Vormax, and so I just was hoping we could help him to get them to flush right, starting with not snagging the chain on the flapper, which seems to be a common complaint.

cantbuymelove

Reaction score
The Toto you were referencing is not at all comparable to the AS Optum Vormax. AS has ever-clean glossy bowl, 1.28gpf, comes with soft close seat, and has no "under rim" area at all, which is important to me as I live on a small mesa where the water is pumped up, hence low psi. Am also on septic, so it is important to keep water use down.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The Toto you were referencing is not at all comparable to the AS Optum Vormax. AS has ever-clean glossy bowl, 1.28gpf, comes with soft close seat, and has no "under rim" area at all, which is important to me as I live on a small mesa where the water is pumped up, hence low psi. Am also on septic, so it is important to keep water use down.

If you were speaking to me, that's EXACTLY what the Drake II, CST454CEFG, has, except you buy your own seat. But the usual Toto seat used with that toilet is slow close and very nice for around $45. Except it doesn't have the wacky dual-funnellator flush valves, which in my mind are pure gimmickery.

aspera

Reaction score
What does it do if you disable one of the flush valves? Perhaps that Vormax is not maxed out, and more 'vor' is possible.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
What does it do if you disable one of the flush valves? Perhaps that Vormax is not maxed out, and more 'vor' is possible.
One valve feeds the rim (or whatever American Standard calls that upper channel) and the other feeds the siphon jet.

SeedsReviewer

Reaction score
Yeah, I just looked. These are "Seeds Program Reviews", and identified as such. Basically, HD and the manufacturer give you the product in return for writing an "honest review". They are not precluded from giving you product information, which is usually what people use as "talking points". Not surprisingly, most of these are glowing reviews. People like free stuff, and usually return the favor. But even if one were trying to be completely-honest, the reality is that one tends to be more positive about something when you're not questioning and doubting yourself as to whether this thing was really worth $300. Those emotions -- questioning one's choice -- aren't going to be present and so the review isn't going to subject the product to the same level of scrutiny that a normal one would. Most people aren't inspired to write reviews unless they are either (a) happy and amazed and want to share their joy or (b) extremely pissed off and want to warn others. That's why the histogram of reviews usually skews either towards 1 or towards 5. There will be "inliers", but they are usually fewer on most products.

You are right on point about that. I am a Seeds member and we are coerced to submit favorable reviews. If we submit an unfavorable review with FACTS detailed (most importantly), we sometimes get the "Sorry your review was rejected, please try again...". Too many of those and/or too many without a submitted review at all and we get kicked out. If we just complain and give NO facts, it passes inspection and gets posted, as though to imply that this was just done by a disgruntled user and should be ignored. And I can say that at least 50% of the Seeds member reviews are done with little, if any, actual experience with the product. Many don't even try to say anything useful but just post a few photos of the product not even in use or installed. And of course they just give it the five stars. Shameful.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
heritage-02.jpg

Heritage Vormax

heritage-01.jpg

heritage-03.jpg

heritage-06.jpg

Jodebg

Reaction score
We are shopping for a new toilet and came across this one by Miseno http://www.build.com/miseno-mno240c-toilet/s1058811

Does anyone have any experience with this brand? Build.com told us it was is made by AS. Also has excellent reviews.

We were looking at at the AS Vormax but had some concerns. Some of the customer reviews were not very good and
the tank components were far from encouraging.

Looking at the internal tank components of the Mesino, are they standard and readily available when somethings needs
to be replaced?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
For that price, you can get a Toto Drake with the new tank option, which has a similar esthetic and will give you decades of reliable service:
CST744EN. Also available in ADA height CST744ELN.

Being "made by AS' isn't necessarily a good thing. To answer your question it looks like the holes in the tank would accomodate good (better) in-tank parts when the time comes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm not sure why AS thinks it's a great idea to use two flappers and two holes in their new toilet...just doubling the leak points for not a great advantage and doubling the cost of the most common repair part - the flapper, in a toilet. You can get similar performance by engineering the internal pathways for the water flow. It may be easier to keep them separate, but that's what engineering is for.

Jodebg

Reaction score
wjcandee....What is the new tank option that you mentioned? I am not familiar with the Toto line.
Also, what is the ADA height?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
ADA toilet height requirement is 17-19", so anything within that range (that's to the top of the seat, not the porcelain rim) could qualify. There are other things, like the flush lever must be on the side of the doorway, and the installation width requirements, but those are about placing the toilet in the space, not necessarily the toilet itself.

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
I have owned the Optum Vormax since It was released I am pleased to say it is still working, I have that 10 year warranty but the only issue I have had is the chain snagging. Which Apparently is a common complaint.

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
Well from what I can tell it seems the champion is being pushed off the pedestal and the Vormax is trying to take its place. I never liked the champion. With the Vormax to me it seems like so much can go wrong but so far it hasn't. If and when all hell breaks loose I will post back. Sorry I haven't been on this site in almost a year. I have had other things going on.

Reaction score
I've got the Esteem Vormax from Lowes. I really struggled at first with buying it, because I agree that 2 flappers is just NOT a good idea. But,someone highly recommended it to me, and they know/try all sorts as part of their job.

Have to say after a few months, I REALLY like it. Looks great and had incredible performance. The bowl wash is also very good, especially for a1.28gpf toilet. The price is now around $270 at Lowes,which is nice. I'd highly recommend. It may require maintenance sooner/more of it down the road because of the dual flappers,but I'm ok with that as a DIY guy. I fully understand why a Pro would be nervous about that. ..they get the bad PR if it fails early.

For aDIY: YES! For a PRO: maybe not

HomeownerABC

Reaction score
I have 3 of these in my house. 1 of them has a loud "Thunk" noise when flushing about once or twice a day. Another used to have this occasionally, but the thunks are quite rare now. Both those toilets are upstairs. Another one downstairs has never had any additional noise.

Has anyone experienced this? It doesn't sound like a water hammer since it happens immediately when flushing, not when stopping the flush.

We have had 2 plumbers out, one of which heard the noise, that had no idea what was going on. (From a plumbing company we have otherwise gotten good response from.)

I like the toilet overall, though I will note I always have to watch everything flush and only stop flushing after it is all down. Not the ideal situation, but not doing that usually leaves "crap" in the toilet.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The toilet does not, on its own as part of its regular cycle, dispose of the solid material you deposit into it, but you "like the toilet overall"? Isn't flushing effectively sort of the central functionality expectation for a toilet?

Our Totos and other (water-hog) toilets are set so you push the trip lever and walk away. When you return, there is a refreshed bowl with no solid waste in it.

The thunk is probably the flapper slamming shut in the water flow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks