New A/C+Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Just installed a Friedrich EP18G33B in a new addition which has BOTH 18K BTU A/C and 12K BTU heater. We're in the northeast and the heater seems way inefficient. Probably a stupid purchase. Anyway, what I'm thinking is since the electric's run to that spot (230/208 line), that I can install a baseboard heater under the outlet...adding a junction box with a toggle switch, UP to the A/C in summer, DOWN to the baseboard in winter. First, not sure this makes sense and next, what's the recommended switch? I've installed multiple 240v baseboards in another house with no problem, just not sure about this particular issue. Thanks very much.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What makes you think what you have is not working well? Can it reach your desired set temperature? Running a long time is not a sign of inefficiency, it means it was probably sized properly. Ideally, it would run 100% and adjust its output to meet the needs. It's too small if it can't keep up on a typical day. Oversizing may get things warm quicker, but once there, the short cycles are hell on the efficiency and longevity. Things work better with fewer on/off cycles.

Reaction score
Thanks...you may be right. It is blowing warm air. I think it's possible we haven't given it enough time. It's been on most of the day now. The thing is no one's spending time in there except for construction. Until I'm in my shorts I won't really know. Thanks for now...appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When a building is cold-soaked, it can take a long time to warm up all of the structure. The air is fairly quick and easy, but if the walls, floor, etc., are all cold-soaked, they'll suck the heat out of you. There's no such thing as cold...only the absence of heat. Heat always moves to even things out, so goes towards colder surfaces.

Reaction score
Well said....actually rebar attaches the 19 x 31 slab directly to the bedrock covered only be 2" hard foam. However, the walls and ceiling are extremely well insulated however...this is Catskill NY, it's 6 degrees right now. It's a touch heating problem, but at the other end of the room I've installed a 240v 50" baseboard...the room will be fine with both in gear. Thanks for the thought.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks