New 5600sxt not softening water

Users who are viewing this thread

mthode

Reaction score
All tests were done right from the softener output (installed a 'T' plus a quarter turn valve to test).
Verified the following:
  • regeneration is taking in brine and refilling properly, I've sat and watched the whole process a couple of times now
    • BW: 10
    • BD: 60
    • RR: 10
    • BF: 8
  • bypass is not enabled (water is being counted when running)
  • Tester tested with distilled water (showed 1ppm vs the 255 it shows both before and after it goes through the softener)
Not really sure where to go with this or what else to check, the resin was this
http://apluswater.org/Water Softener Resin.html
and the salt is sodium chloride pellets.

Oddly enough this seems exactly like what I have (64k system, 2cu ft., hardness) https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/fleck-5600-settings.64716/

any advice on what to check next?

mthode

Reaction score
It's an electronic tester, this one

Last edited by a moderator:

Old

Reaction score
That is a TDS meter, it does not indicate hardness. You need the hatch 5B test kit.

if you want quick confirmation you will probably be able to pick up some cheap test strips at a hardware store, they wont be totally accurate but will give you an idea

Reach4

Reaction score
While waiting for your hardness tester, put some equal amounts of raw water and softened water into two clean jars with lids. Make a solution of one drop of liquid dish soap and 10 drops of water. Put a drop of that solution into each jar. Shake. If no suds in either, add two drops of soap solution to each test jar and repeat. There should be a significant difference.

mthode

Reaction score
Thanks, ordered the testing kit, also got a cheap kit from home depot which showed it was either still slightly hard or not. The mason jar testing wasn't that conclusive either, but I think it wasn't done very well by me. I'll do the hatch test Monday when I get it. Thanks for the tips.

Reach4

Reaction score
There can be initial problems, and you are wise to check.

Your hardness is 15, and BLFC is 0.5?

Bannerman

Reaction score
What is your hardness quantity? Any iron in the incoming water? Iron, can cause iron fouling of the resin over time if a resin maintenance program hasn't been done periodically. How hold is the system and what is the pH of the water?

While you specify a BF setting of 8 minutes, what is the BLFC rating? (Should be specified on a label near the brine or drain port). What is the softener's total capacity (grains or cuft) and what is the current capacity (C) that is programed?

mthode

Reaction score
No iron (city water and tested 0 with cheap home depot strip test).

New system, ph looks to be about 8 (again, cheap strip test)

It's a 64k system with 2 cu ft. of resin (measures at about 33k grains per cu ft. I think for a total of 66k).

Capacity is set to 40k (20k per cubic ft.)

Bannerman

Reaction score
Your settings appear to be correct and you've already confirmed brine draw and fill.

You are correct that iron should be 0 on a municipal system as chlorine usually used for disinfection, will also oxidyze clear water iron, causing it to precipitate out of the water as rust particles. The solid rust can then be easily filtered out and will likely no longer be remaining before the water reaches your house.

Is the only reason you think the softener is not softening, due to the TDS results? TDS = totally dissolved solids

A water softener does not (edited) remove hardness by filtration, but utilizes a process called ion exchange. The hardness ions (mainly calcium and magnesium) are replaced by sodium ions which are much softer and do not form curds (soap scum) when combined with soap. Due to exchanging the ion types, TDS is not reduced but sometimes the TDS reading will actually increase after softening as ion exchange is not necessarily 1 for 1.

Last edited:

mthode

Reaction score
ya, TDS was 240-260 (varried on the tool used). I got a titration kit online (old linked it up above), I'll use that on Monday to test the 'true' hardness. The cheap home depot strip tests were inconclusive. So any further action is on hold til that test is complete.

Thanks for the tips and support, I'll post back on Monday if it's working or not.

mthode

Reaction score
got the kit, turned blue at one drop so <1 gpg. Thanks for the tip in getting a real test kit.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Great!

You may wish to also test your incoming water hardness to verify the softener is programmed for the appropriate hardness amount.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Minor issue. Clear filter housings require special attention compared to opaque. The sumps should be changed no less than every 5 years, watch your water pressure and do not exceed 70-80 PSI, and keep it away from UV exposure.

mthode

Reaction score
sumps? water pressure is good and it's in the garage, no UV there.

Reach4

Reaction score
housing + cartridge = filter
housing - cap = sump
img_1.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks