New 50 Gallon Rheem Backdrafting

Users who are viewing this thread

Justfixit

Reaction score
Hello, I installed a new Rheem 50 gallon natural gas water heater to replace my old Rheem 50 gallon. I noticed after it ran for probably a half-hour the plastic trim pieces around the water lines was melting. The vent is very simple just an elbow on about a 45 then straight out the block wall, has plenty of slope. I can't see what would be wrong. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

20220221_164144.jpg
20220223_203639.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Need a minimum rise of 5 ft I believe, coming out the block on a 45 and then what? plugged up with leaves ?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Single wall pipe in unconditioned space is not allowed under UPC and UMC.
I've never seen an installation like yours, since the vent pipe should be going to a properly sized and supported, double wall tee outside, and those are only designed to receive straight connections.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Single wall pipe in unconditioned space is not allowed under UPC and UMC.
I've never seen an installation like yours, since the vent pipe should be going to a properly sized and supported, double wall tee outside, and those are only designed to receive straight connections.
Didnt notice it was single wall, No mention of a failure to draft by justfixit on previous water heater. Single or double i dont think effects draft. I think the darn vent is just poping through the wall and ends not enough length to create draft an improper install in more ways than 1

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
we always use single wall in unconditioned space like a garage fom the heater to the b vent a few feet away, HVAC will put a double wall right to the furnace . But I never have on water heaters

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Want a pic of the roof and flue pipe
The pic he shows dosent convince me from using single wall or the lack of 12 inch rise . that either are cause I think something else is wrong , possiby it just comes out side the house and ends. perhap not a pic but what else is wrong. btw he had a water heater there before

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks