New 1hp Submersible pump works... but on first engagement of pressure switch takes 45 seconds to start pumping....

Users who are viewing this thread

Dflippin

Reaction score
A little background.. I just had a 1hp pump installed (lowes) to 380ft. I have no leaks in the system... pressure switch turns on at 30psi and off at 50psi and when under heavy loads or frequent pump cycles it works perfectly.... but if you let it set a while and then run the water you hear the switch engage, the pressure in tank eventually goes to 0 depending upon flow maybe a trickle ... and I timed it yesterday and it was 40 seconds before I saw water flowing through the screen filter.. I believe it to be a component issue with the pump itself... its like an old TV that doesn't work good until it gets warmed up, but with it setting in the bottom of the well,, doesn't seem like that would matter..
Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that delay a function of time since the last pump run? In that case, I would suspect that you have a topside check valve and there is a slow leak below -- check valve or hole.

If you don't know what a topside check valve would look like, post a photo that includes the pipe from the well, the pressure switch, and the input to the pressure tank. Also include the pressure switch. Having that topside check valve would seem to fit your description best. You do describe the time-since-run factor.

If the delay is randomish, and not a function of when the pump last ran, then your start capacitor in the control box may have become weak.

One other possibility that seems less to fit, would be the nipple to the pressure switch being clogged.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Like Reach says, probably a bad check valve on the pump. Remove the above ground check valve and you will be able to tell if that is the problem. Removing the above ground check valve may cause the lower check to start working, but you need to test it to find out.

Dflippin

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's... The only check valve is right next to the pump and it is holding pressure (no leak down) so no topside check valve... I may have to replace that pressure switch.. just in order to eliminate it as a fault.... It's a 2 wire pump so if its the starter capacitor its built into the pump itself.

Reach4

Reaction score
If the pressure gauge reads maybe 40 psi, you close the valve that controls water to the house, turn off the pump breaker, 10 hours later (or whatever period you choose) the gauge should still say 40 psi.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The only check valve is right next to the pump and it is holding pressure (no leak down) so no topside check valve...
Did you supervise the installation and are confident they did not install additional check valve(s) in the well? The symptom you describe fits with a falling water column below a check valve.

If you suspect the pressure switch, that could easily be confirmed with a clamp ammeter. In the meantime, you could reduce the precharge on the captive air tank so it has more water when the pressure switch kicks in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks