Neutralizer questions

Users who are viewing this thread

PK

Reaction score
I have a 13x54 calcite tank with a Fleck 5600 head on it. I've recently learned two things about my situation:

1) The pH of my raw water is 5.67, and my treated water is 6.68. I have copper plumbing and have been told that I really should try to get the pH up to 7 to avoid leaks and corrosion. The sink in the guest bath occasionally drips, and there is some blue/green staining in that sink bowl. No problems observed elsewhere.

2) The Fleck 5600 only provides 7 gpm of backwash flow, and I've read that a 13-inch calcite tank should have about 10 gpm of backwash. The existing arrangement, however, has been in service without flow problems for years.

So my questions are as follows:

a) To raise the pH to at least 7.0, is it as simple as vacuuming out the existing calcite and replacing it with an 80/20 mix of calcite/corosex? If I do that, will the mixture be consumed evenly, or will the corosex be consumed first, leaving me with nothing but calcite after few months?

b) If I add corosex, how do I keep the pH from becoming too high? We're not high-flow users, with typical draws of 2-4 gpm. Water also sits in the neutralizer all night and all day while we're out of the house.

c) Do I need to replace the Fleck 5600 valve with a Fleck 2510, which can provide the proper 10 gpm flow? Or can I get by with the 5600 even after adding corosex (would removing the dlfc button help?)? My well pump provides 12 gpm.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks