Neutralizer pH Good, but Not Using Media?

Users who are viewing this thread

NEMatt

Reaction score
In January or so I installed an acid neutralizer to mitigate my ~6.0-6.3ish pH well water.

It is a 5800SXT atop a 2.0cuft Vortech tank. I purchased media from a local water treatment supplier and was told it was premixed at 90/10.

Well it must have taken quite a while for the Corosex to burn off because initially running the valve to the neutralizer wide open produced like high 9s for pH. So I took to running it about 50/50 bypass. That got me into the mid to high 7s which I am fine with. Over time I moved the valve more toward full open but am still running a significant amount of bypass, as it seems to add a good deal of hardness and I have a UV device directly after the neutralizer.

Now 6 months later, I can barely see any difference in media depth when I shine a light behind the tank. It is only two people in the house, and as mentioned there has always been some untreated water going by. Does it seem odd there is hardly any media use? I still backwash it every week though that is likely unnecessary.

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect the backwash is not strong enough to backwash the media, and that the media is more of a fused chunk with channels through it. If I am correct, the shadow of the media while backwashing will not expand as it should when backwashing.

If softener resin is in the bottom, and the calcite is in the top, and they both get backwashed at the same flow and frequency, that is not so good of an application for a Vortech tank. I am not a pro.

What BLFC do you have? For a 12 inch tank, a softener would usually have a 3.5 gpm backwash, and calcite might be 9 gpm.

NEMatt

Reaction score
Correct it does not expand when backwashing. I had posted on soon after install and the consensus was that calcite is finicky and as long as the tank sounds somewhat different during backwash it is fine. The flow rate out of the backwash port was good when tested. Over what should be required to backwash calcite.

This is a neutralizer only, not stacked media.

BFLC is running wide open. No rubber orifice in there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks