Neutral and Ground Bus Mixed

Users who are viewing this thread

Todd Groendyke

Reaction score
Hello: I recently bought a 1950's house. I was examining the electrical panel and it looks like neutral and ground lines are mixed in the the neutral and ground bus. Some neutral are on the ground bus, some ground on the neutral, etc. Is there any reason for doing this? Is it a problem? Should I leave it alone or switch all the neutrals and grounds to their proper bars?

Thanks,

Todd

neutralground.jpg

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Are you going by wire color ?

It looks a bit mixed up to me.

If you update it you should bring it up to code.

Older homes did not have a safety ground.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
That looks like the service panel or I would be more correct if I stated this looks like the service disconnecting enclosure and if my assumption is correct and the two terminal bars are bonded together and to the enclosure there is no problem with the panel.

Todd Groendyke

Reaction score
These photos might show it a little better. My main concern is that neutrals (white) and grounds (bare copper) seemed to be mixed on these bars. Shouldn't all the neutrals be on the neutral bar and all grounds on ground... or does it matter? Or is there a reason to mix them?
Ground.jpgNeutral.jpg

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
There is NO separate neutral or ground bar in that main panel. Both bars serve BOTH purposes.
It is FINE.

Murphy625

Reaction score
If the house was built in the 1950's, that panel is not the original and has already been updated. Looks fairly new to me.

I would almost go out on a limb to say that the panel was updated just to sell the home. Judging by the lack of oxidation, dust, debris, etc, I would say that panel was installed within the past 5 years.

DonL

Reaction score
These photos might show it a little better. My main concern is that neutrals (white) and grounds (bare copper) seemed to be mixed on these bars. Shouldn't all the neutrals be on the neutral bar and all grounds on ground... or does it matter? Or is there a reason to mix them?
View attachment 21291View attachment 21292

That is a much better picture.

It looks fine.

Stuff

Reaction score
Both bars are tied together via the factory strap so they are logically the same bar.

Other issue is that neutrals are sharing lugs. They should be on their own. Grounding wires can share if mentioned on the panel label.

DonL

Reaction score
Both bars are tied together via the factory strap so they are logically the same bar.

Other issue is that neutrals are sharing lugs. They should be on their own. Grounding wires can share if mentioned on the panel label.

Good point. I did notice that.

There were spares that could have been used.

I think it may be ok if the ground and neutral go to the same circuit.

Last edited:

adsforpay

Reaction score
This is not really related to the original question... but I couldn't help but notice... On the top row of breakers, on the left is a 30A two pole labeled "Dryer", with what looks like 10Ga wire. Which is fine, but using those wires as a size comparison, on the right end of that same row of breakers is a 40A double pole, labeled "Air Cond", with what looks to be 12Ga wire. They look like the same size wire as on all the 15A and 20A breakers. If so, those wires are not protected by a 40A breaker. Maybe the OP can confirm or deny what seems to be in the pic.

DonL

Reaction score
This is not really related to the original question... but I couldn't help but notice... On the top row of breakers, on the left is a 30A two pole labeled "Dryer", with what looks like 10Ga wire. Which is fine, but using those wires as a size comparison, on the right end of that same row of breakers is a 40A double pole, labeled "Air Cond", with what looks to be 12Ga wire. They look like the same size wire as on all the 15A and 20A breakers. If so, those wires are not protected by a 40A breaker. Maybe the OP can confirm or deny what seems to be in the pic.

The OP was asking about the grounds.

You are correct "This is not really related to the original question... "

But it is nice to keep people safe.

JWelectric

Reaction score
That looks like the service panel or I would be more correct if I stated this looks like the service disconnecting enclosure and if my assumption is correct and the two terminal bars are bonded together and to the enclosure there is no problem with the panel.
What I said .

JWelectric

Reaction score

We size the conductor by the minimum circuit amperage and the breaker by the maximum circuit amperage therefore it is possible to have #14 protected by a 40 amp breaker on any motor appliance such as AC or heat pump. The running overload that is in the compressor will protect the motor and conductors from overload. The breaker protects against ground fault and short circuits.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks