Needs advice for installing drop in tub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Wutang

Reaction score
So I have this tub I’m about to build the frame for. But I’m curious as to the bottom setup. It has a osb sheet base secured to the bottom with the osb having these real flimsy legs also made of osb. Are these legs solely a shipping perk to keep the drain safe from breaking during transporting? Am I suppose to keep them on there and permit sink into the mortar bed? I purchased it 2nd hand from a nonprofit deconstruction/salvage company. It’s a American Standard, town square (I think) drop in if that helps in answering my question.
TLDR; do I keep these flimsy osb legs on the bottom? And any advice regarding the mortaring/alternatives too would be greatly appreciated.

First time undergoing a tub installation so any input is better than none thanks.

7D0EE2F5-8D13-431A-839C-70F83B9B1903.jpeg
5BA72252-B67F-43F2-B4CB-BFED4E10B8BE.jpeg
9E66CC2D-CDAE-4A1B-B0C1-141D79D78787.jpeg
3C4EDCCD-E02F-4EB1-8E21-46A0C6E3C8C0.jpeg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Setting a tub is not recommended for inexperienced folks.
Too many tricks and risks to list, but to start, account for the smush factor, and plan on packing mud in with a 2 x 4, create a dam on back side to prevent ooze, use waterproof material on the floor.

Wutang

Reaction score
I get that it’s not recommended. But I’ve so far conquered this remote cabin on my own and will to take the resulting failure if incorrectly done and chalk it up as experience points.as far as having the waterproof membrane set I believe I’m covered there. Regarding the legs though do I keep? Or cut? I know doing the tub installation with much knowledge in that category is idiotic. But stupidity runs deep in my bloodline and I’m okay with that. Thanks for your response and taking the time to help

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks