Needing CPVC info.

Users who are viewing this thread

IrishHandyman

Handyman/ Day laborer
Reaction score
I am in the middle of a job of installing new CPVC. Not a bad job other than the crawl space is like a pond, I can deal with that. The weather conditions are typical of Southern Indiana this time of year, cloudy, cold (actual temp 29-32 degrees). I can cope with even that. My question is, at what actual temperature should I give up on this and wait? Yesterday was perfect, almost 50. The high for today is to reach 36 or so. I am using the Yellow Flow Gurard. What I am NOT wanting to do is once I get everything hooked up and then turn on the water and have to dive back into the lake again to do repairs just because I was in a hurry. I also have a question about water pressure. I live in a small rural town. I am seeing pressures anywhere from the main line in, past their meter, running around 45-65. Needless to say I have been real busy replacing pipe and redoing connections. What should a typical residential water pressure read? Thanks in advance for your help.
I forgot to add that the house is occupied and all heat ducts are run in attic so there is no chance of heating the area with the furnace. I am afraid of using any electrical heating device due to the fact water is EVERYWHERE.

Attachments

• Lake Bruno.jpg
    Lake Bruno.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:

Msgale

Reaction score
your 45 to 65 is typical, i think 80 psi is considered too high and will damage fixtures

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Check the temperature rating of the glue you are using, that should tell you how cold it can be used, the other question is how cold can you take it.

Don't forget that there is a delay time before turning the water on, read the can.

If you are getting near 60lb on the water it should be fine, luck.

Lightwave

Reaction score
That is one n-a-s-t-y looking crawlspace.

The owners are going to have serious problems with mold and structural failure if they don't get that water problem fixed and that leaning pier righted.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Forget the plumbing for now, you need to fix that freakin crawlspace. Sump pump, ground cover... then fix those supports... oh, man. LOTS do do before worrying about the pipes. That place is gonna rot & fall over if you leave it like that.

IrishHandyman

Handyman/ Day laborer
Reaction score
I agree with all of you about the other problems. The problem right now is the lack of money for the owner. Just lost his job last month. For what it would cost to fix the foundation and replace about 90% of the joists, would be more than the house is worth. I cut my rate back just for him due to the lack of funds. All I can do is try my best at making sure he doesnt have any more bursted pipes until he can have everything fixed. I am giving him an early Christmas present this year, (I can hear the groans from all of you now). I cut my rate to $12.50 per. I have more pictures that would scare the crap out of you. According to the label on the can I really need to have a 40 degree day. Since it got down to 17 overnight I dont see it happening today as well. Maybe I can spend the day pulling out the icebergs from underneath. What is even more surprising is that the main line in is right next to a brick foundation and the insulation around was falling apart. Considering none of his heat ducts run under the house, I dont see how he has never had a freeze up till last year, when his furnace quit. There are places in the foundation that I can see outside. I have taken foam board insulation and installed on the inside of foundation and some places on the outside. I am hoping I can keep out the drafts. Thanks to everyone who has chimed in on this. I'm glad I have found a place that has a wealth of knowledge. Maybe after today I can go by the name FrozenWetIrishHandyman. LOL

Attachments

• leaning foundation.jpg
    leaning foundation.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 308
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks