Need Well Wisdom!

Users who are viewing this thread

KennyG

Reaction score
I'm about to close on a piece of property that had a well bored and septic system installed in 1999 but went unused due to the house never being built. The builder ran out of money and the people who bought the property just sat on it till now.

The well was actually drilled in 1995 so its been sitting there ever since! The well is 70 feet deep and was tested at 11 gpm and passed all water quality checks.

I'm worried that it has corroded or become junk after sitting there for all these years unused. There is no pump (I think) just the casing (no idea what the casing is made of) and the screen.

Also the well is between 200 - 300 feet and downhill from where the house will be. Does this sound like a nightmare for the pump system and lines? The slope is not too bad but it most certainly need some pressure to move the water upwards.

Thanks for all your input!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the casing is PVC it will probably be fine. Even if it is steel casing the worst thing would mean it would need some cleaning. I would just stick a pump in a see what happens.

200' in elevation rise to the house means the pump will need to to 90 PSI more than the 60 PSI you need in the house, plus the 70' in the well. That would mean a pump that could do 10 GPM from a total head of 416'. That would take a 1.5HP motor with a 10 GPM series pump. If the pressure tank is at the well it will need to be rated for 150 PSI, because the pressure switch will need to be set for 130/150. Because of the high pressure I would use a 86 gallon size tank like a WX302, even with a Cycle Stop Valve.

The pipe in the well will need to be rated for 250 PSI, and the pipe going up to the house will need to be at least 160#. A 10S15-21 Grundfos pump would work with a PK1ALT control kit with a heavy duty pressure switch and pressure relief valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks