Need Watertight Well Cap with tapped vent

Users who are viewing this thread

NateHanson

Reaction score
Due to the wellhead location, I need to put a watertight well cap on it, (6") and I need to be able to plumb the vent on the well cap to a spot 25 feet away. (Wellhead is below grade in a road box in driveway).

Manufacturers well caps all show a picture from the top, and I can't tell with many of them whether the vent hole is tapped so that I could extend the vent to terminate elsewhere.

Can anyone help me out and recommend a watertight well cap that will allow me to do this? So far I've only found a ridiculous $200 one from Baker. https://www.completeplumbingsource.com/baker-premium-watertight-cap-with-vent

Thanks

NateHanson

Reaction score
It has a pitless adapter connection. Only thing coming out of the well cap is the elec. conduit.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You could use the large port meant for the water line as the vent or else plug that hole.
On that Baker that you linked to, that centre pipe to the vent looks to be threaded. You could always try phoning them to ask if in doubt. Also would be good to know how it seals around the wire.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Most of those well caps will work. They seal fairly well around the casing, and the vent hole is threaded so you extend it above grade. Sealing around the wire is a different story. You really need 3 or 4 conductor wire with a single round outer jacket, like THHN. Then you would need a rubber grommet with the same bore as the OD of the wire. With the wire through the bore of the rubber grommet, a bushing on the end can be tightened to squeeze the grommet to seal around the wire and threaded hole. Either that or you run all 3 or 4 individual wires through a grommet with equal and like size holes before squeezing. You should probably try to seal the lid to the vault as well. Nothing is full proof.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your conduit runs into the house you can get what we call a sealed conduit cap. They are completely sealed and rely on the conduit for venting. Basically it is a well seal with a junction box on the top for the wire to pass thru.

NateHanson

Reaction score
It would be simple enough to drill and tap a watertight cap, but is there a way to seal the vents?

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
If you ever used that big Monitor you would never recommend it.

Don't like? They are the gold standard around here....not something we use on residential, but every commercial and public well here gets a baker pitless unit with this cap.....it's a heavy duty beast.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't like? They are the gold standard around here....not something we use on residential, but every commercial and public well here gets a baker pitless unit with this cap.....it's a heavy duty beast.

They seem to be on every public well around here as well too. No, I don't like them at all, the gaskets seem to stick and fall apart, the crappy steel bolts rust up, too many different length bolts......

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks