Need to replace wall hung 4 bolt toilet/carrier

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I have a 1960s vintage wall hung toilet that I would like to replace as part of a complete bath remodel. It is a downstairs bath on concrete slab foundation. I am hoping to put in an in-wall tank system from Geberit. When I opened up the wall I was surprised to find that the existing inwall carrier has a t-fitting with the discharge going down into the slab and a vertical pipe going upward to vent. I snagged this photo from another thread. My situation is similar. In this configuration the vent pipe gets in the way of the geberit in wall carrier. I need some help figuring what my options are. If I want to replace the existing system with an inwall carrier how do I deal with the vertical center mounted vent pipe? Will I need to jackhammer into the concrete slab to re-position the vent to the side? If putting in a new geberit involves too much concrete demo work I may opt to just replace the existing toilet with a new 4 bolt wall hung unit but my options appear to be quite limited. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Screenshot 2022-05-03 125517.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The easy solution would be a Gerber Maxwell wall hung. It's a four bolt toilet that works on the 60's carriers.

Otherwise, you bringing in someone with a wet saw for concrete and replumbing that.
My parents had two of those toilets in their Bellevue home.

maxwell_wh_03.jpg

Mercer Island

Last edited:
Reaction score
The easy solution would be a Gerber Maxwell wall hung. It's a four bolt toilet that works on the 60's carriers.

Otherwise, you bringing in someone with a wet saw for concrete and replumbing that.
My parents had two of those toilets in their Bellevue home.
Thank you Terry. If I end up going the route of cutting concrete would it lessen the severity of the demo if I went ahead and converted to a standard floor mount unit?

Reaction score
I haven't opened up the whole wall yet... Just a small slot to assess the situation. It appears to be a 2" vent pipe that adapts to the 3 top of the larger drain pipe.

20220503_131825.jpg
20220503_112920.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A 2" vent wouldn't be bad to move. They have couplings that size from copper to plastic too. Copper has a different OD than plastic.

mission_bandseal.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the tank in the wall along with the carrier will make your situation imposible. I would go along with a wall hung like Terry advised. The in wall tank /carrier system isn't forgiving.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't see how replacing the existing carrier with an in wall tank would be impossible. Nothing is impossible. Just have to weigh the benefit vs cost.

2 main benefits are that you have a much cleaner around the toilet and you save about 9 inches of depth to the tip of the bowl.

Downsides are that you will have to excavate concrete if you can't adapt it above ground (same as going floor mount if you have the depth). You will have to offset the vent which looks like there should be plenty of room in that wall if you go with a 2x4 carrier as it appears they built it 2x6or8. You will have some re-framing to build out the carrier.

The simplest is to replace with the toilet that Terry linked.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
wt153m-01.jpg

index.php

If you do cut the floor, they do look nice. Here is one with a Washlet.

I wonder if the measurements work out, if you can keep the work above the floor level? I say one that another plumber had roughed, and you needed a ladder to get up on the bowl.

wt153-parts.jpg

ap-bowl-height-chart.jpg

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wonder if the measurements work out, if you can keep the work above the floor level? I say one that another plumber had roughed, and you needed a ladder to get up on the bowl.
the connection from the elbow that attaches to the frame and the sanitary drain is above the floor. But only opening the wall and seeing the devil in the details will tell us.

We have one install that they wanted Max height.. i think its up somewhere around 20" above the floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks