Need to remove Cast iron shower flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Artimus

Reaction score
Doing a remodel of master shower and having difficulty removing the 3 bolts on the old flange. Used various penetrating oils but doesn't budge. At this time, one is stripped. Wanting to replace with a new flange. Mud pan has been removed. The pipe is 2 inches so I won't have to replace the p trap.

Is it possible to cut the bolts off with a grinder and pull the flange off? The shower is on a slab so no access from under.

Thank you

Artimus

Reaction score
Often we do whatever it takes to remove the old one. It's pretty typical to have to cut things out.
Follow up question, it will be a mud pan using this drain. As it is currently 2 in. Will I, should I tear out the concrete to replace the ptrap?

Screenshot_20220708-171936_Google.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Follow up question, it will be a mud pan using this drain. As it is currently 2 in. Will I, should I tear out the concrete to replace the ptrap?

View attachment 84860
Cast iron is not great in my opinion. It would depend on the situation whether or not I'd replace the trap. I think it would be preferable to replace as much of the cast iron as possible. Imagine a hair trying to make the journey to the street through rough cast iron.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks