Need to re-route sink drain but only fittings are exposed

Users who are viewing this thread

Jrstevens

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a double tub stainless steel kitchen sink that I'd like to swap out for a single tub unit. I can either get one where the drain is centered or offset to the right. The drain connections look problematic though. It is all fittings where I would need to re-route it. All the new sinks appear to be at least 2 inches deeper than the current sink, so even an offset sink would be a problem since the garbage disposal unit would have to drop down.

Please see the attached pics. Any advice on how to proceed is appreciated.

Attachments

• YIAC0290.JPG
    YIAC0290.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 180
  • YIAC0280.JPG
    YIAC0280.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 182

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pick out the sink you want, it looks like you'll have better luck with a center outlet drain, look up the specs. IE, (dimensions). cut out a cardboard silhouette of your garbage disposal and hold it up inside the cabinet where the disposal will mount to the new sink to see if it clears the drain outlet, if it don't, look for a sink where it will. You may be able to keep one of the drain outlets for a clean out.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a double tub stainless steel kitchen sink that I'd like to swap out for a single tub unit. I can either get one where the drain is centered or offset to the right. The drain connections look problematic though. It is all fittings where I would need to re-route it. All the new sinks appear to be at least 2 inches deeper than the current sink, so even an offset sink would be a problem since the garbage disposal unit would have to drop down.
Note that you have a tailpiece extension under the disposal drain exit, so the output dropping 2 inches or more won't be a problem.

The problems I see is
  1. that stuff is glued far from the wall, limiting options.
  2. That santee under the AAV is the wrong fitting for most codes, but will work fine.
If you needed to replace that santee, then you would use a Pipe Parana tool to remove the santee, letting you glue on a new combo to hold the AAV and mount the new trap adapter. I have not used that tool, and I don't know how easy it would be to use without experience.

James Henry's suggestion was the best and easiest. At first I missed that the elbow farthest from the wall was in a trap adapter, and not glued.

Last edited:

Jrstevens

Reaction score
Thank you both for the advice!

The Pipe Parana tool looks interesting. I also noticed the "Pipe Hog" tool while researching the Pipe Parana. If I go this route, I'll glue-up some test fittings just to try out and get used to the tool first.

One additional question - would an internal PVC coupling work where the yellow arrows are drawn in the attached pic? Or would an internal coupling be non-compliant or otherwise a bad idea?

Attachments

• YIAC0290-IC.jpg
    YIAC0290-IC.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 164

Reach4

Reaction score
Take a look at RamBit and Socket Saver also. That would be the more approved alternative to an inside coupling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks