Need to know if well heat lamp is working

Users who are viewing this thread

Working Man

Reaction score
How do I wire a pair of 110V LED indicator lights on my well house heat light rig?

It consists of a 2-wire w/ground 14ga cord that I plug into an always hot outlet. On this cord in linear order starting with the plug is a thermo-switch set at an on at 35F and an off 40 degrees, then a 125W chick heat lamp screwed into an outdoor spot light socket mounted on a round, deep electrical outlet box, followed by another 125W chick heat lamp screwed into an outdoor spot light socket mounted on a round, deep electrical outlet box. The lights are wired in a parallel configuration so if one bulb burns out, hopefully I still have one burning. I'd like to wire an indicator light to each heat lamp so I can tell if both/either are working, then mount the indicator lights to the outside of my insulated cinder block well house. Can you walk me through the wiring sequence so with confidence I can tell if I have heat in the well house without going out and opening the door and looking inside?

Kevink1955

Reaction score
While that would tell him if the lamps have power it would not protect from a burnt out bulb. To do that would require some sort of current sensing circuit

May I sugjest a heating thermostat located at the target of the lamps, set it for the minimum temperature that would be acceptable, if the temp goes below the setpoint the stat calls for heat and lights the LED

Bannerman

Reaction score
Why not use a small, thermostatically controlled portable or baseboard heater? Unlike light bulbs, less potential for a heating element to burn out.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Wire the outside lights to a NC relay controlled by a thermostat. I am not a plumber.
I infer (maybe incorrectly) from the OP that he wanted the light outside to be on if there is heat. If he wants the light to be on if it is too cold, then have the thermostat turn the light on directly without a NC relay.

Osage Hills Craig

Reaction score
I found a thermometer that keeps a history and can be read remotely, i.e. I don't have to open my pumphouse to see what the temperature has been. I got a Govee H5074 with the Bluetooth connection. I'm using a Thermocube to turn my heat on at 35Deg and off at 45Deg; but I've always had to open the door to see if it was working. Now I can walk down close to my pumphouse and let my Govee app on my phone connect and download the temperature history. I don't remember how many days it'll store (I go down to the pumphouse every 3 days, at least). I got the Bluetooth model, but there is WIFI also; but my pumphouse is too far from my WIFI to use that. This is the first winter to use it, and I'm very happy with it. On cold nights you can see the temperature get to 35 and spike to 45 and back again. Some nights 4-5 times. We've had a fairly mild winter, but I've learned that my pumphouse doesn't get below 35 before about 5am. Anyway, it's been a great addition; and should tell you whether your heat lamps are still working.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks