Need to cut back old copper DWV dishwasher drain pipe behind wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Badatdiy

Reaction score
I’ve got an issue preventing me from installing our new dishwasher. Apologies if this is dumb, I’m kind of a newbie.

It looks like an old drain connection was capped off when this place was remodeled, and it still sticks about 4” into the dishwasher cavity - our new dishwasher is solid though (old one had a big hollow area in back), and so it can’t be pushed all the way into the DW cavity.

Piping is 2” galvanized (I think?) and super duper sturdy. Haven’t been able to make it budge, I’m a little nervous to lean too hard into it for fear of breaking it. Seems like it’s probably original, so 1960s.

How should I handle this? Any tips? Seems excessive to get a plumber out for this.

Badatdiy

Reaction score
Pic:

AA669F72-20B9-42D7-AA6D-6E0760AF9391.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
How should I handle this? Any tips? Seems excessive to get a plumber out for this.
I think your objective is to have this not extend into your space. What I think you would want to do is to unscrew the adapter by turning the bigger of the two hex heads CCW. For this you will need a big wrench, and you don't have one that big, I am guessing.

Some would use a pipe wrench. You can buy those many places When you use a pipe wrench, rotate toward the movable jaw.

I would use my 15 inch Milwaukee adjustable wrench 48-22-7414, if it was big enough. Opens to about 1-5/8 (45 mm). After removing the adapter, you would screw in a plug. That adapter may be 1-1-1/2 size.

white-charlotte-pipe-pvc-fittings-pvc-02113-1400hd-fa_145.jpg
brass-jones-stephens-brass-fittings-p51-150-64_145.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
That looks like copper DWV.

Depending on how tight it is, two wrenches may be called for, one to hold back on the flats on the adapter soldered into the elbow. You could try moderate pressure with one wrench, but if you see the elbow itself start flexing to the left, stop and get a second wrench on it.

And if you don't need the full depth back, you can instead unscrew the smaller hex fitting from the bigger hex fitting, same story on one or two wrenches. Then you can get a flush plug for the smaller threaded opening.

Cheers, Wayne

Badatdiy

Reaction score
Thank you both! I’m going to give this a go; apologies for the late response, I thought I’d get an email notification but didn’t.

Reach4

Reaction score

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Where can I get a tool that will fit into the hole shown in the copper plug above?
In a pinch, if you're comfortable with a table saw, you could just rip a piece of wood to the correct square cross section. I would think that should work. : - )

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
You can screw these things in, as best you can, with whatever you have around, knowing that you could buy a tool if you wanted to remove it later.

These plugs with the countersunk/recessed slots/sockets are also available in plastic. Some have brass inserts to facilitate optionally screwing a decorative cover over the top.

https://www.siouxchief.com/products/drainage/commercial/cleanouts/cleanout-plugs/polypro/slotted
878-15-3.jpg

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...lypro-flush-plug/878-15pk/p-1444442712168.htm
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Sioux-C...ed-Polypro-Flush-Plug-w-Threaded-Brass-Insert

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks