Need to adjust P-trap - cut metal pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

desmo907

Reaction score
I replaced vanity top with new sink and faucet. Home is from 1988. Seem the drain pipe from the wall is metal and protrudes maybe 5". There is a P-trap connected to it (the elbow part seems just pressed on to the end of the metal pipe as I cannot seem to unscrew it, etc.).
Unfortunately the new sink drain (hole) does not line up with the current P-trap vertical. It is off maybe 1" (with the sink closer to the wall by the 1").
I wonder if I can just cut the metal pipe coming in from the wall (maybe 2") and buy a new P-trap (see link below) and install it?
Does the P-trap (horizontal end) just slide into the metal pipe (I was not sure) and connect with the nut and washer (supplied)? Seems then I can adjust (slide) the trap to line up with drain vertical.

Thoughts?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Keeney-1-1-2-in-dia-PVC-P-Trap-Fitting/1042735

Attachments

• P trap.jpeg
    P trap.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 281

Reach4

Reaction score
What OD is the metal pipe?

If you slide that escutcheon away from the wall, what do you see?

desmo907

Reaction score
What OD is the metal pipe?

If you slide that escutcheon away from the wall, what do you see?

Unsure of diameter of metal pipe but the black P-trap has 1 1/2" written on it.

I moved back that escutcheon and it appear the metal pipe is inserted into maybe a (black) plastic pipe (I can see the outer diameter of what appear to be black pipe flush with the sheetrock). Doesn't seem to turn by hand though....

Here is another photo with the push-seal drain fitting dropped into the sink. It seems long and I assume i can cut it down to fit any new P-trap also. You can see it is off by about an inch.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• p2.jpeg
    p2.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:

desmo907

Reaction score
Just wonder how to remove the metal pipe... someone else said it me threaded into the PVC (thats in the wall) and I can use a pipe wrench. Assume then I can get a new P-trap and adjust the horizontal tube (maybe cut it needed?) so i can get the verticals to line up??

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are not able to measure, you could still identify if that metal pipe is steel or brass (covered with chrome). Brass is not attracted to a magnet. You probably have a magnet on the fridge. However copper is not magnetic either, but non-magnetic is probably brass.

If brass, and if you see white plastic at the wall, there may be a nut that you would turn counter-clockwise. Then the brass could presumably pull out.

This is not to say that you don't have something else at the wall, but a nut at the wall would be the best case.

If no nut and you are to cut the metal pipe, you really will want to know the diameter of the pipe.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can you provide a well-lit photo of the connection between the p-trap quarter bend and the pipe sticking out of the wall, taken from the side of the connection, rather than the front of the vanity opening?

Cheers, Wayne

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time imagining that being metal pipe stubbed out of the wall in 1988 with an ABS ptrap just pressed onto the end of it and not leaking from day 1.

If it truly is metalic pipe stubbed out of the wall you would need to know the outside diameter of that pipe to know what type of adapter you would need to transition to your new p-trap.

desmo907

Reaction score
Thanks...
I did test the "metal" pipe with a magnet yet it doesn't stick... so even though it is shiny silver, it seems not to be metal...attached are 2 more photos. It is hard to see the silver "pipe" between the black elbow and the wall (black pipe that is flush with sheetrock).

Attachments

• p4.jpeg
    p4.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 278
  • p3.jpeg
    p3.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 302

Reach4

Reaction score
If we presume the pipe is 1.50 od, I would get a Fernco 3002-155 or P3002-155 shielded coupler. I would cut the pipe to leave at least 1.1 inches sticking out. I would use the coupler to attach pretty much any 1-1/2 inch p-trap -- plastic or brass. Brass would be stronger. Plastic would be easier to cut. I am not a plumber.

Lubricate with liquid dish soap.

https://www.fernco.com/dimensional-drawings/3002-155
black-rubber-fittings-p3002-155-64_145.jpg

You could get out your sewing tape measure to measure the circumference, and divide by pi. You could get a digital caliper to measure the diameter easier. Those are useful for a lot of things. But based on the latest picture and magnet info, it is very likely 1.50.

This is not going to look extra-pretty, but if you peel the paper label off, it might look better.

The screws get tightened about 5 ft-lb -- about as much as you can do with a 5/16 nutdriver, but a 5/16 socket turned by a ratchet wrench could easily overtighten.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks to me like the "metal pipe" is just older ABS that is not shiny. Try tapping on it and the trap quarter bend, see if they sound the same.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
If the pipe is not metal, it makes measuring more important. desmo907, why won't you accurately measure?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks