Need suggestions on replacement toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYNeophyte

Reaction score
I'm a total newbie with all this stuff, and I would love to get some advice on a good brand/model of replacement toilet. My husband died, and now this stuff is all in my domain.

I have no demands of it (except that it FLUSH and not have any weird quirks) EXCEPT that the toilet be the 'comfort height' and the seat has to be round, not elongated.

Any suggestions for a good, reliable toilet? TIA.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Click on the top (of the two) links on Terry's reply above and you'll see a nice comparison of toilets. If you look around the "Toilets" section of this site, you'll see some other reviews. You'll quickly notice a bias (including in me) for Toto toilets on this site. I have a Toto Soiree and really like it - it is not round front, but has great bowl wash, and is "comfort height."

Are you sure you don't want an elongated bowl?

DIYNeophyte

Reaction score
Thank you both for the Toto suggestion. What is the average price of such a toilet, if you know offhand.

To Steve: the bathroom I'm putting this in is small; there's just not enough room for the elongated bowl (when the bathroom is really small, every inch counts!)

Thank you both again for your help - I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

kc1121

Reaction score
Go to Terry's main site and you'll get an idea on pricing for Toto toilets.

Also, where do you live? Some water companies are now giving rebates if you buy from their list of approved HETs (high efficiency toilets) -- my water company has a bunch of Totos on the list.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Because of differences possible in tank design, some elongated toilets are very close in depth to some round ones...it is possible that an elongated one could be smaller.

DIYNeophyte

Reaction score
Also, where do you live? Some water companies are now giving rebates if you buy from their list of approved HETs (high efficiency toilets) -- my water company has a bunch of Totos on the list.

I live in central NJ. I'm not aware of my water company ever having any promotions on anything! it'd sure be news to me!

DIYNeophyte

Reaction score
Update - and a thank you!

THANK you for the advice. I ordered the Toto toilet that Terry suggested, and had a good plumber install it.

It is WONDERFUL! Works perfectly, and has an amazing flush (it's funny the things that make me happy these days...!) I like it so much i'm going to replace the toilets in the other two bathrooms with this!

Thank you all, and esp. you, Terry, for your help.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It is WONDERFUL! Works perfectly, and has an amazing flush (it's funny the things that make me happy these days...!) I like it so much i'm going to replace the toilets in the other two bathrooms with this!

It's amazing how Toto owners develop this strange behaviour...
Where they are thrilled with how well the toilets flush....
It manifests itself in such a weird way...
"Wanna come over and see my toilet flush!":D

Last edited:

Neotonic

Reaction score
It's amazing how Toto owners develope this strange behaviour...
Where they are thrilled with how well the toilets flush....
It manifests itself in such a weird way...
"Wanna come over and see my toilet flush!":D

lol When my Parents got an EcoDrake Installed I put a video on youtube, and that started (I think) mu Youtube channel with Toilets flushing :rolleyes:

And what confuses me is, I also have a Dance Dance Revolution / In The Groove Channel, and my Toilet Flushing Account has way over 6K Page Views and more comments, while my DDR/ITG account only has 600+ :\
:confused:I thought most poeple find toilets weird and yet the watch them on youtube :|

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks