Need some help with well information

Users who are viewing this thread

clubmkred

Reaction score
I don't know much about my well other than some info on an invoice from when the well was drilled back in 2005.

I was not living in the home when it was drilled. I was hoping to list some of the info so that the experts here might be able to tell me a little more about my well.

Hand written invoice shows the following info:

63 ft of 6 inch well casing
260 ft of 4 1/2 inch well liner
255 ft of wire down well
250 ft of rope down well
250 ft of pipe down well

Then at the bottom of the page it says:

260 ft well depth
S168 ft static level (I am guessing that is an "S", doesn't look like any of the 5's on the page)
Well produces 7 gpm

I am more interested in the static level vs well depth to find out how much water is in the well at a given time. Should I assume that the bore is 6" with a well casing of 4.5"? So how much water should be in my well? Do I follow the regular formula of 1.469 gallons per 1 foot of depth or do I have less being a 4.5" liner?

Any help is appreciated.

Ed

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Your records show that the pump is set at 250' minus the 168' static water level means that you have approximately 82 feet of usable stored water. 82' times 1-1/2 gallons per foot (approximate amount of water in a 6-1/2" hole) means you have approximately 123 gallons of usable water stored in the well. Depending on the pumps gpm, 7 gpm is good. More than likely your pump will never run your well ount of water. The drop pipe and 4-1/2" LINER WOULD CONSUME A LITTLE SPACE BUT i WOULDN'T WORRY ABOUT IT!

clubmkred

Reaction score
I think something has happened to the well. I have very little production (takes a couple hours to recover) and can only use about 60 gallons of water before I run out.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
With, say, 10 hours to recover 60 gals your well input is 6 GPH, 0.1 GPM.

Here's what your well should be doing

Well volume [V]= 123 gallons
Well input/output [IO]= 7 GPM
user demand [D, D>IO]= 12 GPM

output duration [OD] = V/(D-IO)
OD= 25 minutes

output gallons [G] = OD x D
G= 295 gallons

Last edited:

clubmkred

Reaction score
I have a manganese greensand filter on the system. Without it, I get the rotten egg smell. But if I keep it online, the regeneration cycle alone will use all of my water... It's a no win situation. I am more interested as to why my production has decreased. I guess over the last year or so, I noticed that we would run out of water after a really dry spell, but it was only on those days when the greensand filter regeneration would take place. I never knew what to do about it and was always able to work around it.
Two months ago (while I was at work), my wife woke up to no water... Luckily the low pressure cut off on the pressure switch shut the pump down.... BUT, I told her just to be safe, shut the breaker off to the pump and I would check it when I got home. I could not believe that we were out of water. When I got home and tried to reset the pressure switch, it would pump, but would not build pressure. After a few mystifying moments, I started checking every faucet to see if something was open somewhere. Low and behold, the outside spigot was WIDE open. I asked her if she forgot to turn it off, but she said that she never even went outside. So something or someone had turned on our outside faucet and let the water drain out of the well. To this day, I have no idea who or what messed with our outside faucet. But, ever since that day, we have had more than normal sediment and dark black / brown flakes in our sediment filter. I am also getting this very light, white color sediment that suspends itself in the water. Looks very light and fluffy when it finally settles on the bottom of the clear filter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks