Need some guidance with sink drain

Users who are viewing this thread

R.A. Boatright

Reaction score
Guys,

Thanks for checking out my post. I recently bought a house that was built in the late 70's. I've noticed, after about 4 months of living here, that the kitchen sink drains very slowly. It will basically drain fine, until it backs up, and then will sit in the sink until it drains down. From there you can repeat the process.

It did this in the past, but some Drano and a plunger did the trick. It fixed it for about two weeks. Now, it has returned and I have tried Drano (more than a few times) w/hot water, plunger, a bladder, and a snake. Nothing seems to fix the problem. When I snaked it, I was probably 10 feet down and what came out was very, very dark and smelly (not bad, just odorous). The septic tank is on the other side of the house, perhaps 30 or 40 feet away and was pumped before we moved in.

I notice that outside, below the sink, near the concrete foundation is a big metal plug. Should I take the plug off and attempt to snake (perhaps w/a different head) it further? Would that be the next logical step or should I seek a professional?

Thanks in advance!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Snaking is kind of dangerous if you're using anything with power.
Draino burns a small hole at the bottom of the pipe. Bacteria and enzymes can remove the buildup of grease all the way around the pipe. It's what I use on my kitchen sink that was run with ABS pipe.
http://terrylove.biz/home/75-bio-clean-a-natural-enzyme-drain-cleaner.html

The cleanout below sounds like it may give you some access to the line. It's worth checking out.

R.A. Boatright

Reaction score
Snaking is kind of dangerous if you're using anything with power.
Draino burns a small hole at the bottom of the pipe. Bacteria and enzymes can remove the buildup of grease all the way around the pipe. It's what I use on my kitchen sink that was run with ABS pipe.
http://terrylove.biz/home/75-bio-clean-a-natural-enzyme-drain-cleaner.html

The cleanout below sounds like it may give you some access to the line. It's worth checking out.

Thanks! I will try that next! Now that you mention it, that may be the solution. The pipe may lack enough grade going from the kitchen to the sewer tank, which could explain some buildup in the pipe. I will update you in a few days.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks