Need some guidance on shower fixture layout

Users who are viewing this thread

Rossn

Reaction score
I have 3 bathrooms under remodel, shown below. 1 with tub/shower combo, and (2) 3/4 baths. My wife picked out this hansgrohe Unica Raindance handshower wall bar (not yet purchased) and these Hansgrohe Ecostat Classic 2-zone trims with volume control and 2-zone diverters (already purchased)

The West and East baths already have the iBox plus valve rouged in dead center, West CL 36" AFF, East CL 45-1/2" AFF

We were planning (names on attached pictures):
West: Tub and Handshower only
East: Handshower and Ceiling Rain Shower
Studio: Handshower only.

We think the hand showers are essential for cleaning the bath, washing dogs, etc. and in general convenient. So, we want them.

My concern is that putting that wall bar centered over the centered valve (in 2/3 of the baths) will have the hose dangling in front of the valve.

Is this hose over the valve/controls an issue?

Do you think the above proposed configurations are odd or a mistake? If so, should I be considering:

West (young kids): Add 2 or 3-way diverter valve and then have Tub | Traditional Shower Head | Hand Shower, possibly rain shower at ceiling
East (guest bath, including grandparents, who at some point may need to sit on a bench in shower): Traditional Shower Head | Hand Shower
Studio (rental): Traditional Shower Head | Hand Shower

We haven't had a rain shower previously, so don't know how much we would use, or if that is a good idea over an apron tub that may have a fixed pane of glass and no door.

Thanks!

Attachments

• bathroom_west_layout.jpg
    bathroom_west_layout.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 179
  • bathroom_east_layout.jpg
    bathroom_east_layout.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 199
  • bathroom_studio_layout.jpg
    bathroom_studio_layout.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Usually the slide bar is just to the side of the controls and water outlet (somewhere around 2 o'clock or 10 o'clock) Mainly due to height and ergonomics.

Three shower heads in one shower is a bit much (and not code I believe). Sometimes there are modules designed with multiple shower heads but they don't output as much water per head.

I think I would omit traditional shower head and do rain with slide bar. To have a slide bar and traditional shower head is just two things doing the same thing.

Rossn

Reaction score
Usually the slide bar is just to the side of the controls and water outlet (somewhere around 2 o'clock or 10 o'clock) Mainly due to height and ergonomics.

Three shower heads in one shower is a bit much (and not code I believe). Sometimes there are modules designed with multiple shower heads but they don't output as much water per head.

I think I would omit traditional shower head and do rain with slide bar. To have a slide bar and traditional shower head is just two things doing the same thing.
Thanks, John. Would it be awkward with the controls in the center to have the slide offset to the side, when the hand shower is the primary shower head?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks, John. Would it be awkward with the controls in the center to have the slide offset to the side, when the hand shower is the primary shower head?
No. That's how they are setup mostly. Maybe 1 o'clock would be more to your liking but three showerheads at 2.5 gpm isn't legal. Drains are only so big.

Besides the slide bar should be removable so one could remove the chrome shower 90°, return it to a shower spout and return to a traditional head.

Where were you planning to put the outlet?

Rossn

Reaction score
No. That's how they are setup mostly. Maybe 1 o'clock would be more to your liking but three showerheads at 2.5 gpm isn't legal. Drains are only so big.

Besides the slide bar should be removable so one could remove the chrome shower 90°, return it to a shower spout and return to a traditional head.

Where were you planning to put the outlet?
Hi John,

Definitely not planning on having more than any one water outlet running at once. I would be using a valve that switches between the various devices, such as this three-way Hansgrohe diverter valve, which allows only one outlet to run at a time. They also make this version that has 3 outlets, and you can run up to two outlets simultaneously, but I don't think the local AHJ will allow it. We are under watersense requirements. I have 1/2" copper supplying the valve.

They also make the same valves in two-way diverters that could be used be used for a shower head and a hand shower. That may be the best route... so the original valve selects between tub and secondary diverter valve, and the secondary diverter valve (mounted above iBox selects between hand shower and main shower head.

Is the overall approach (main valve operating tub or routing to a secondary valve) OK, or should the main valve be different in this case? I

Good question on the outlet. I was thinking the outlet for the hand shower would be 32-48", and placement would depend on if I add a second valve and shower head or not. I am thinking below the valve is best, provided the hand shower is offset from centerline. That way, the hose is long enough to reach the other end of the tub when cleaning, washing a dog, etc. I have a lot going on in that wall... non-traditional framing, gas supply for clothing dryer, supply lines and drains for washer, etc.

Glad to hear your thoughts on all this.

EDIT - had to go look. I actually ran the hot supply in 1/2" copper. It was the washer that had to be run in pex... long story.

Rossn

Reaction score
Here's a suggested install by Hansgrohe. In my case, the primary valve would also activate a tub filler.

1645314318780.jpeg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's a suggested install by Hansgrohe. In my case, the primary valve would also activate a tub filler.

View attachment 81233
Right there's no third showerhead in there.

It's really just a preference thing. Going back and forth about it isn't productive. So I guess you have my opinion and can wait and see if any other ideas/opinions come up.

Rossn

Reaction score
Right there's no third showerhead in there.

It's really just a preference thing. Going back and forth about it isn't productive. So I guess you have my opinion and can wait and see if any other ideas/opinions come up.

I'm just not sure what is odd or short sighted and what is not. Sounds like on the controls wall, you see it acceptable to have just a hand shower wall bar, and off-center is OK. I didn't know how screwed up that would be with the control center. Thank you.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm just not sure what is odd or short sighted and what is not. Sounds like on the controls wall, you see it acceptable to have just a hand shower wall bar, and off-center is OK. I didn't know how screwed up that would be with the control center. Thank you.
There are all different configurations. They make all kinds of attachments and weird shower spout swivels attachments and what-nots. I think the instinct to include everything is a common one. Realistically there are only a limited number of users, and people don't vary from the showers they like to take, very much. So knowing you like a rainfall shower in the upper ceiling and using a slide bar for a traditional shower would be normal. Or any number of combos in there.

Just to my mind, having every combo I don't think would pass inspection. Mainly because your inviting someone to change valve internals making the shower out of compliance. I think that more than anything is why you don't see many examples of people including three showerheads.

Rossn

Reaction score
@John Gayewski - Good call, and thanks for the perspective. We are going to just stick to two options per bath, which means just handshower and tub in the first bath.

Rossn

Reaction score
Related question... in the guest bath (east) there will be a corner bench near the entry. Grandparents may often use this one, and possibly want to sit. Assuming it has some sort of shower head (rain or normal) and a hand shower. Is it best to keep the hand shower wall outlet near the main controls with a longer hose, or a bit closer to the bench?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Related question... in the guest bath (east) there will be a corner bench near the entry. Grandparents may often use this one, and possibly want to sit. Assuming it has some sort of shower head (rain or normal) and a hand shower. Is it best to keep the hand shower wall outlet near the main controls with a longer hose, or a bit closer to the bench?
I did a handicapped shower for my gf's parents. Her mom wanted the slide bar on the longer of the three walls facing out. So right when the curtain opens the shower is blasting outward into you and the floor. I always thought that was silly, but it was closer to the bench and that's what she wanted. Now since the husband died the son is the only one who uses the shower. Floor is always wet.

So I would say do what makes the most sense. Sprayers have attachable "halos' (is what we call them) that can have multiple receivers hung on the wall. So you could theoretically hang a sprayer anywhere and in multiple different spots. While still having the slide bar in a more traditional spot.

Rossn

Reaction score
I did a handicapped shower for my gf's parents. Her mom wanted the slide bar on the longer of the three walls facing out. So right when the curtain opens the shower is blasting outward into you and the floor. I always thought that was silly, but it was closer to the bench and that's what she wanted. Now since the husband died the son is the only one who uses the shower. Floor is always wet.

So I would say do what makes the most sense. Sprayers have attachable "halos' (is what we call them) that can have multiple receivers hung on the wall. So you could theoretically hang a sprayer anywhere and in multiple different spots. While still having the slide bar in a more traditional spot.
Thanks - that is great context

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks