Need some direction, adding basement shower

Users who are viewing this thread

clav8

Reaction score
Brought my pictures to a reputable plumbing supply company, and they told me that the clay/ceramic drain will run in 3 foot sections. They suggested that I dig a little further, then remove the one of the 3 foot sections and replace it with one that offers a 2" wye coupler.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
No offense, but one the the worst plumbing jobs I ever saw was done by a guy that worked for a supply house. After you replace the section in question with the one recommended by the supply house, where exactly will the drain to the shower be?

And you still need to confirm that the drain you want to tie into is connected to the sanitary sewer, figure out why the trap fills by itself, figure out the venting, and learn how to properly install the various fittings and pipes required to complete the job.

Have you pulled a permit for this job?

You very well may impress the wife yet. Or get to spend some quality time on the sofa after you flood the basement. :D

Last edited:

clav8

Reaction score
No offense, but one the the worst plumbing jobs I ever saw was done by a guy that worked for a supply house. After you replace the section in question with the one recommended by the supply house, where exactly will the drain to the shower be?

And you still need to confirm that the drain you want to tie into is connected to the sanitary sewer, figure out why the trap fills by itself, figure out the venting, and learn how to properly install the various fittings and pipes required to complete the job.

Have you pulled a permit for this job?

You very well may impress the wife yet. Or get to spend some quality time on the sofa after you flood the basement. :D

I like the ending...."we're floating down the river....we're floating down the stream"

I am continuing to dig and will hopefully see what is going on where the ceramic and pvc cross paths.
Once all is clear, I just might have a plumber come in an do the fittings...at least I will have saved the cost grunt work.

clav8

Reaction score
Ok...digging is done! A have a 8 foot trench all the way over to the other drain. The other drain (which comes from drain stack #1 in the above pictures) is also ceramic and wyes together with the ceramic drain coming from the laundry floor drain. As i suspected, the main water line also runs directly over the drainage pipes, very near where the wye is (I was particularily carefull diggin out this area, knowing the main water line was there...or that could have gotten ugly).

So there is a 6 foot cermaic pipe that is connected at both ends with plastic couplers to the other cermaic pipes. I am off to the plumbing supply store with more pics for more advice on fittings, and if they can recommend a good plumber in my neighborhood to do the fittings.

I am not too worried about the vent as I should be able to vent up the wall (where the laundry door use to be) and over to the existing vent stack.

Your comments and suggestions are much appreciated...thank-you.... It's great to pull upon multiple resources for advice and knowledge.

AND....hopefully my experience will help someone else down the road...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks