Need Sanity Check for Iron Filter and Water Softener Setup

Users who are viewing this thread

maelstrom

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am about to pull the trigger on a whole house filtration and softening system for the property we are developing. We are developing the property in two phases. Phase 1 will be a 1000 ft2 guest cottage with two bathrooms for our 6 person household (2 parents and 4 kids under 6). Phase 2 around 5 years from now will be a larger 2000-2500 ft2 house (probably 4 bed 3 bath). Kids will obviously be older and using more water. We plan on using the guest cottage as an Airbnb and to host guests.

I have done a bit of research and am planning on going with following setup to accommodate BOTH phases. Does this seem about right? I do have room in the well house I built to supplement this and/or add another pressure tank(s) if we end up needing it but I’d rather get it sized for both houses from the start.

Katalox AIO Filter:
https://www.aquascience.net/katalox...t-oxygen-chamber-system-digital-control-valve

Spindown Filter between Katalox and Softener
https://www.aquascience.net/pentek-...utlet-package-with-push-fit-quick-connections

Twin tank 96000 grain water softener
https://www.aquascience.net/96-000-...54-tanks-fleck-9100-sxt-digital-control-valve

Note: I installed my submersible well pump myself so I am comfortable doing the install and upkeep work.

Well and water test results:

Well produces 7 GPM (Can pump 10-12 GPM for 15 min until reserve draws down)

IRON - 4.76 mg/L
HARDNESS - 377.4 mg/L
MANGANESE - 0.226 mg/L
PH - 7.77
ARSENIC - 0.0060 mg/L
ELECTRICAL CONDUCTIVITY - 1020 uS/cm
CHLORIDE - 82.0 mg/L
NITRATE - ND

maelstrom

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4,

I had read that Katalox can produce Katalox "dust" and to put a sediment filter after the Katalox to filter it out. Seems like it might be overkill/unnecessary though. Does the rest of the system look about right?

Reach4

Reaction score
Not sure. From what I read, some additional cleaning is needed for the AIO. Often they don't backwash these thing sufficiently.

Well produces 7 GPM (Can pump 10-12 GPM for 15 min until reserve draws down)
7 gpm is not enough, and they may put a 7 gpm BLFC in that would limit the flow. I can point you to a good thread on the effects of high backwash vs low backwash. I think 10 gpm is a better number.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/backwashed-katalox-with-dlfc-removed-wow.90471/

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/iron-out-to-clean-katalox-light.75658/page-3

See page 3, but earlier pages will have useful info I think.

AIO will put air in your pipes.
remove air from pipes after AIO filter air release air https://terrylove.com/forums/index....system-after-air-injection-iron-filter.74384/
#11 and #18.

maelstrom

Reaction score
Thanks for the links. Super helpful. I should be able to backwash at 10-12 GPM with my current pressure tank capacity and reserve in the well.

Skyjumper

Reaction score
I highly doubt that iron filter will last 5 years. you'll have to disassemble, clean it, and replace the seals every 12 months. and replace the media every 2-3 years. it will need to be backwashed every night. the seller will probably tell you every 3 days but that's not enough.

if you have iron bacteria you'll have to sanitize the iron filter with bleach every 3 months or it will clog with iron sludge. you do this by sucking bleach solution into the brine draw port and letting it sit overnight. then doing an extra backwash the next morning.

definitely figure out if you have iron bacteria it will make your life much more difficult. if you do then AIO is probably not the best solution for you esp with 4+ ppm iron.

on the + side that massive water softener will do a very good job of removing iron, and you will need to clean it regularly with resin cleaners to flush out the iron residue. then you'll probably not even realize your Fe filter isn't working.

well house? how do you keep all this from freezing in winter?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
AIO on 5 ppm iron, that is seriously pushing the system design. Ignore what you read online, AIO is very limiting... we sell a ton of them, but they are also a large cause of many complaint. Air in the water, iron bacteria, etc. We highly recommend adding the ozone system if you want to do it a little better.

maelstrom

Reaction score
definitely figure out if you have iron bacteria it will make your life much more difficult. if you do then AIO is probably not the best solution for you esp with 4+ ppm iron.

Currently don't have iron bacteria, it is a new well and I have been pretty diligent in sanitizing it anytime I crack open the well cap.

We live on one of the Islands in the Puget Sound so we don't get very cold winters. Anyhow the well house is insulated and I'll probably put a small heater in it during the coldest months just in case.

We highly recommend adding the ozone system if you want to do it a little better.

Definitely noting your concerns and will look into ozone, is H2O2 also something I should look at?

Skyjumper

Reaction score
We live on one of the Islands in the Puget Sound

like Michael Douglas in Disclosure?? that's pretty cool.

you seem to be pretty handy so you'll have no problem maintaining this equipment. just know that it will need to be maintained this stuff is not set it and forget it when you have 4+ ppm iron. I learned that the hard way.

maelstrom

Reaction score

Ha ha yeah on a similar island (I believe that movie was set on Bainbridge).

you seem to be pretty handy so you'll have no problem maintaining this equipment.

My brother lives on the same island as we do and after his well pump went out around Christmas time last year and he was without water for over a week because he couldn't get anyone to service it, I figured it made sense to make sure I was able to service the entire well/water system that I built (hence the reason I did my own pump install). On my brother's well we gave up on getting someone to service it and did it ourselves. Found out that 150' of 1.25" PVC full of water is pretty heavy :)

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score

you seem to be pretty handy so you'll have no problem maintaining this equipment. just know that it will need to be maintained this stuff is not set it and forget it when you have 4+ ppm iron. I learned that the hard way.
Exactly!!! Iron=maintenance. not a big deal, but many people think it is going to be like hard water and a softener. iron makes a mess of things.

F929E8D8-5D3F-49E5-80A6-A35AD4D6A828_1_105_c.jpeg

Rotaris

If its not broke, fix it until it is!
Reaction score
I highly doubt that iron filter will last 5 years. you'll have to disassemble, clean it, and replace the seals every 12 months. and replace the media every 2-3 years. it will need to be backwashed every night. the seller will probably tell you every 3 days but that's not enough.

if you have iron bacteria you'll have to sanitize the iron filter with bleach every 3 months or it will clog with iron sludge. you do this by sucking bleach solution into the brine draw port and letting it sit overnight. then doing an extra backwash the next morning.

on the + side that massive water softener will do a very good job of removing iron, and you will need to clean it regularly with resin cleaners to flush out the iron residue. then you'll probably not even realize your Fe filter isn't working.

I would think shocking well twice a year would also help with less maintenance.

maelstrom

Reaction score
I would think shocking well twice a year would also help with less maintenance.
Yes seeing as this is a new well without iron bacteria I plan on keeping it that way, so periodically shocking it is part of my plan.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks