Need quick advice on area plans for replacement water heater install

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve Gee

Reaction score
I’m replacing existing gas water heater located on a tiled platform in garage. Old one is 75 gal but I’m going with 50 gal and adding new pan with drain thru wall to outside (only about 12 in horizontal run and then a 3 ft drop outside). The tile beneath the existing heater has cracked badly and I want to provide a level strong surface for the new drain pan and water heater. I’m planning to put a piece of 0.5 inch cement board on top of the current broken tile to provide a smooth, level surface for the pan and water heater. My question is whether this is the best material or if I should consider something else?

If interested, I’m getting an AO SMITH GCR-50. I have a dedicated recirculating loop. I’m going with smaller heater as we don’t need the extra capacity and because it will be over 100 lbs lighter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks