Need professional septic system help

Users who are viewing this thread

Joseph Skoler

Reaction score
I bought an old bungalow colony and I need to make sure the septic system is working. Likely it needs some attention. This is way beyond my capabilities.

Any recommendations for someone very knowledgeable in the Sullivan County, NY area?

Or, should I feel okay with hiring a good plumber?

Attached are the designs (from 1993).

Thank you!

Attachments

• 225-septic-details.jpg
    225-septic-details.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 225-septic.jpg
    225-septic.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 158

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would say a good plumber should be able to do an assesment but depending on the work needed It may require someone with extensive septic underground experiance and equiptment to provide best service and at good cost. Looks like a huge property with many buildings

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
agree Joe, Hired a Contractor to put an Furnace and A/c condensor. He might have known more but I had to school him on a ton of things. Ive never put any of that in

Joseph Skoler

Reaction score
If anyone is interested, this is the control panel for the system. I have no clue about how it works.

Attachments

• IMG_3905.JPEG
    IMG_3905.JPEG
    125 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3904.JPEG
    IMG_3904.JPEG
    142.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_3903.JPEG
    IMG_3903.JPEG
    118.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_3902.JPEG
    IMG_3902.JPEG
    141.2 KB · Views: 139

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If anyone is interested, this is the control panel for the system. I have no clue about how it works.
Duplex means 2 pumps one pump comes on when level reaches a point then shuts off next time the other pumps turn If one pump quits you still have a good one. an alarm might let you know when somethings not working but dont know if they all have alarm. no pump expert here

Terry H

In the Trades
Reaction score
Check them manually. Test floats by picking them up and seeing if they come on.

I did diagnostics on one the other days and the contactor was bad. Well, I’m a plumber not an electrician so that took me awhile to figure out. Point is like Jeff said depending on the issue you may need a plumber, electrician or a septic guy. Those boxes can get confusing

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Check them manually. Test floats by picking them up and seeing if they come on.

I did diagnostics on one the other days and the contactor was bad. Well, I’m a plumber not an electrician so that took me awhile to figure out. Point is like Jeff said depending on the issue you may need a plumber, electrician or a septic guy. Those boxes can get confusing
good advice Terry H only thing is he hasent stated what his problem is evedently he bought a "Colony" a lot of acers with a bunch of buildings. then threw in a pic. of a pump panel . Im too busy to drive to NY plus the Travel time might break the bank! Even if he needs to hire out at least figure who to call

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I bought an old bungalow colony and I need to make sure the septic system is working. Likely it needs some attention. This is way beyond my capabilities.

Any recommendations for someone very knowledgeable in the Sullivan County, NY area?

Or, should I feel okay with hiring a good plumber?

Attached are the designs (from 1993).

Thank you!

Absolutely do not call a plumber. Call a septic installation company. Plumbers are for pipes. What you have is a engineered system and you should try and find a licensed professional in your state for such systems. You wouldn't ask the 10 minute oil swap store to change out your transmission, would you? And if the system functions and there is no smell, then just wait until you really need it. And get 3 estimates if changes are needed. Had a longer look at your system; that is a commerical system and really complicated. 5 rentals? and a house? 1600 feet of leach line is about 1400 feet more than normal. So certainly a plumber will more likely read Greek than evaluate this system. Ideally you locate the original installer or heirs.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Absolutely do not call a plumber. Call a septic installation company. Plumbers are for pipes. What you have is a engineered system and you should try and find a licensed professional in your state for such systems. You wouldn't ask the 10 minute oil swap store to change out your transmission, would you? And if the system functions and there is no smell, then just wait until you really need it. And get 3 estimates if changes are needed. Had a longer look at your system; that is a commerical system and really complicated. 5 rentals? and a house? 1600 feet of leach line is about 1400 feet more than normal. So certainly a plumber will more likely read Greek than evaluate this system. Ideally you locate the original installer or heirs.
real hard for me to see drawings but looks big allright. agree if he dosent need any plumbing work dont call a plumber. Call Septic Contractor tell him to come out and ?
I figured a property that size the owner might be willing or feel a need to have a pro Check some of the plumbing locate point out shut off valves of water, gas, stuff like that . get a few things working but if the new owner is a total hands on , he might not need a plumber. or a septic contractor but he opened up with questions

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks