Need pitless gasket.

Users who are viewing this thread

2stupid2fixit

Reaction score
Some might remember that my first posts in these forums about a year ago were all about finding help for my pitless. My user avatar is and has always been an actual photo of the drop pipe side of my pitless with leaky gasket. Today I learned some things.

I yanked the pitless to try a round normal looking black o-ring. I have had pitless leak since last year but its warm out and I had time to work on it. I Selected a o-ring from a kit that was just a little difficult to get into the track. I Jammed it in there real nice, used some danco grade silicone lube... To me mechanically, mechanically it looked like a go.

Leaked worse than failed OEM gasket.

Look closely at the pitless gasket that appears in my avatar. It's completely gone... or is it? I dug it out intact (the OEM one) and it appears that it is made of leather.

Well cap says Campbell and google tells me Campbell pitless used leather gaskets.

Where do I get one of these? The supply houses around me are staffed by kids that turn around and describe the part I am looking for to Google. I wish I made that last part up but it's true.
20210712_000837.jpg
20210712_002824.jpg

The outer diameter of this is 48 mm.
The inner diameter of it is 34mm.
The face of the gasket is 7mm.
The gasket is about 4mm tall but I imagine it should be at least 50% greater to make a good seal.
I had to use metric measurements because I am too stupid to figure out 8ths and 16ths and so forth. Is it 58ths? 7 8ths? 3 16ths? F that. 10 millimeters is two 5 millimeter spans. No confusion.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
An inexpensive digital caliper can measure to 0.03 mm or 0.001 inch. It will switch between mm and inch at the touch of a button. Click Inbox, above.

You may want to measure the groove including depth after you get your digital caliper.

Last edited:

2stupid2fixit

Reaction score
A geeze that retired from pump installs in the 80s took one look at my pitless and the gasket I pulled off of it and said "oh that's a 1 inch Campbell wedge pitless. You need an L-1 leather gasket for it."
Turns out he was spot on. Leather gasket was $8, fit beautifully and now no leaks.
:)

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A geeze that retired from pump installs in the 80s took one look at my pitless and the gasket I pulled off of it and said "oh that's a 1 inch Campbell wedge pitless. You need an L-1 leather gasket for it."
Turns out he was spot on. Leather gasket was $8, fit beautifully and now no leaks.
:)
New one for me. Thanks!

2stupid2fixit

Reaction score
I was wrong about the price. The gasket was only $4.62 from Milby Company in Elkton, Maryland. I said $8 because I bought 2. Two just in case i wrecked one or dropped it down the well. I didn't do either so now I have a spare.

One thing thats puzzling is that I didnt know what kind of lube to use on a leather gasket. The guy that told me what gasket to use said just soak it up nice and wet in plain old water before you put it on. Made sense and thats what I did. It's not leaking so I am going to coinsider this repair complete.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks