Need Opinion on a Soldered Joint

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by WhatsNext, Sep 6, 2014.

1. WhatsNext

WhatsNext New Member

My association recently did a partial repipe, replacing polybutylene. I would like opinions on a soldered joint that doesn't look right, because one pipe is coming into the fitting at an angle, and doesn't appear to go into the fitting very far. It doesn't leak, but I'm concerned about it lasting.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2020
  2. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    No way to tell just by looking at it. It COULD have been inserted all the way and then cocked, but the odds are against it.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. fullysprinklered

fullysprinklered In the Trades

self-employed plumber-electrician doing residentia
    I couldn't walk away from that and still sleep at night. Might last a hundred years, though, with that ten dollars worth of solder on it.
    Oh, I'm not going to court with you; forget it.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  5. craigpump

craigpump In the Trades

Self employed water system tech
    Tech school kids do a better job

6. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Rocket Scientist
    Don't they have Tubing benders anymore ?

The angle of the dangle is important.

Looks like the solder flowed.

Have Fun.

7. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I looks to me they could have used a couple of street ells and a short pipe and made a square jog. I wouldn't trust that mess in the first place, and even if it held, it's ugly hack work.

8. DonL

Rocket Scientist
    It will be OK.

If it starts leaking you can put JB Weld Water Seal on it. Good Stuff, clean the flux off first. lol

How did it ever pass inspection ?

9. WhatsNext

WhatsNext New Member

The association comes by to see if it's leaking. If it isn't, then it passes inspection.

10. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

The "association" is not a plumbing inspector. And, not to start a war, but JB Weld is not plumbing repair product. It is simply an epoxy.

DonL likes this.
  11. DonL

Rocket Scientist
    For what people pay for them they need a Good Inspector.

You are right about JB, but it has got my tit out of the ringer a time or two.

Never did work on that old Ford Block like they claimed. Guess I did not let it dry long enough. lol

I think the new plumbers seal comes in a spray can. Buy on TV now, get 1 free, just pay the $19.00 additional shipping. Do not even have to turn the water off to use it. It must be great.

Have Fun.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  12. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Just to make my comment about the "association"not being a plumbing inspector, please understand that electrical, plumbing, and building inspectors are government officials that are highly experienced in their particular areas and are there to verify that construction and repairs are done by the specific code the work falls under. The condo association has no authority to determine this. I think I can state with certainty that the solder job on that joint would not pass. Most condo associations require a licensed contractor to do any plumbing work and then it would be required to have real inspection. Having the landlord or association president OK the work just doesn't make sense.

13. Caduceus

Caduceus Master Plumber

Just a Plumber
    Poor craftsmanship. On the left side of the photo my guess would be that the pipe only enters the fitting about 1/4" or just shy of a 1/4". It will wear and fail. I would let the association know that it is a flood risk when the pipe separates. Good eye on catching the bad work. If you were to get a piece of 1/2" copper and a 1/2" coupling and duplicate the appearance of the angle then mark where the pipe and coupling meet with a pencil or marker, you would be able to see how poor the connection is and how much solder is holding it together. They spent some money for the repipe and may pay more in the future for a leak.

WhatsNext likes this.
  14. WhatsNext

WhatsNext New Member

Thanks for the replies everybody. The association is going to fix it.

Caduceus likes this.
  15. Caduceus

Caduceus Master Plumber

Just a Plumber
    Awesome. Like I said, good catch and smart move looking for an outside opinion on the matter through this forum.