Need new water heater now

Users who are viewing this thread

CLH

Reaction score
I posted this in diy forum mistakenly so I am reposting here. I hope this is the right place.

1. CLHNew Member
    Original natural gas water heater, 50 gal., 2001 install, failing. There is water in the pan, I feel a slight misting of water near the top and see water dripping from the overhead exhaust capture, I'm guessing here. My husband is in hospital and I'm not going to let him deal with this at this time. I have called a plumber. we have hard water here in Richmond Texas 77469. We do have a water softener with additional vortex tank with Filox.

Is there anything I should ask for or look for, especially regarding the hard water, high manganese and iron, water softener. Also what things can the plumber do at install to make this water heater easier for a homeowner to maintain and to increase longevity.

I really appreciate any and all advice and suggestions.

Christine

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you get an H2S smell from your hot water? If no, no special action.

Your softener is dealing with the hard water and the Filox is dealing with the high manganese and iron. Are there any problems with filtering those are doing for you?

Many think 16 years on your WH is pretty good.

I am not a pro.

CLH

Reaction score
Reach 4,
Thanks for the reply.

We did have that smell. After having the water tested we had the softener system installed. No more smell.

The reason for posting here, I was interested in what's new in water heaters since 2001 when house was built. We are newest owners. In many professions, including mine, sometimes it gets done the way it's always been done. I know there are must be new products, innovations, etc. I am just not aware of what they are regarding water heaters. I read on these forums about periodic draining, anodes, expansion tanks. All of which I have been told in the past that I don't need to bother with.

I wasn't asking about a specific brand or size recommendation but feel free there too.

Christine

Reach4

Reaction score
I would tend to go with the one the plumber is comfortable with, as long as it is not tankless.

There are general types of tank gas water heaters.

Classic ones need a regular chimney and rely on heat rising to remove the combustion products. Those don't get plugged in to electricity.

Some use an electric fan and have a damper to keep air from coming in when the burner is not running. Those are called power vent. Those are called power vent, and those seem to be pretty popular. They draw combustion air from indoors, as do the conventional type. The disadvantage there is that the replacement air comes in thru the wall infiltration, and that brings in outside humidity and temperatures.

The "direct vent" units get combustion air from outdoors. That has the advantage that they will not be drawing air conditioned or heated air from the house. But that comes with increased price, and increased complexity. I suspect it might come with more things to fail.

I don't know which I would go with, since I already have a working chimney.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Getting 16 years out of a water heater is damn good.

Why not install a similar unit?

1. Since there are only 3 manufacturers of water heaters in the USA (they make all 50+ brands out there), go for the one on sale.
2. You can get a 6 year, 9 year or a 12 year guarantee water heater - the difference in price is just the amount you pay for the added warranty. When it comes to actually honor warranties, manufacturers play hide and seek, and at best will give you new parts...but never pay for labor.
3. I've seen 6 year WHs last 15 years, and I've seen 12 year WHs last 2 years. Las Vegas style odds.
4. If you ask me what do I get... I get the lowest price 6 year WH. Most plumbers do the same, unless money is no object.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
About the installer:

Make sure you understand what's included in his installation fee. The more that is included, the higher the fee of course.
- Drain, disconnect, remove and haul away old heater?
- New cold water shut off valve?
- New cold/hot water flex connectors?
- New gas valve?
- New flex gas connector?
- Vent height adjustments?
- New earthquake straps, if necessary?
- WH extra insulation blanket, if needed?
- Pipe alterations?
- Running a T&P drain to the outside?

Some items are a must, some are optional.

Reach4

Reaction score
Some items are a must, some are optional.
Addendum to the dj2 list:
-Thermostatic Mixing Valve -- if you don't have one, option or mandatory according to the installer?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Better to stick with the tried and true on plumbing. Otherwise you take the risk of being the guinea pig.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks