Need new toilets - pressure assist or gravity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rinoz

Reaction score
We currently have 2 gravity toilets - Glacier Bay and Kohler. The Kohler always has to have the handle held down forever to flush anything down. The Glacier Bay clogs constantly - usually have to flush it about 3-4 times and still ends up with daily clogs.

When we had a plumber working on our shower, I picked his brain about the toilets but we weren't ready to install new ones yet. At the time he said our current toilets looked pretty new and he was surprised they were having issues. (we bought the house 6 years ago and these are the same toilets that the house had at the time) He did notice the issues right away though. He thought that one of the bathrooms might have a slight incline in the pipes and that maybe a pressure assist toilet would help push things through better and solve the clogging issues. We also have an aerobic septic system - don't know if that makes any difference??

As I've read about pressure assist, it seems like they can be more of a hassle and more costly when it comes to repairs. Is pressure assist the best route for our concerns or would a better quality gravity one still be a good option? I recently read a bit about Toto and was wondering if we should try one of those, but it looks like they do cost a lot more. If so, which models would be best for preventing clogs and easy to keep clean?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any of the TOTO bowls work very well. As to what you have now in the home, some of that depends on the year of the toilet. I understand the Glacier Bay thing. There is plenty of bowls out there that will be an improvement over them. Pressure assist does work very well at pushing things down the line, and Kohler makes a nice one in the Flushmate equipped Highline pressure assist toilet. Not to be confused with their gravity Highline.

There is clogging in the trapway of a bowl, and then there is backing up from the main lines. Two separate issues. Are you snaking lines? Or are you plunging toilets?

Rinoz

Reaction score
I had been looking at the Kohler pressure assist Highline and the American Standard pressure assist Cadet and was leaning towards one of those initially and then I stumbled across TOTO. Any reasons why I should choose one over the other? Are all TOTOs gravity? Is there a TOTO that is equivalent to a pressure assist?

We snaked each one once a couple years ago, but it's plunging that we're constantly dealing with. Does that mean the toilet is more the issue than the pipeline needing pressure assist to move everything through? Thanks for the help!!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Is it' paper you mainly plunging? Or something else. TOTO has a 2" trapway that works well for 99% of the people. Some older bowls have less than that and funky little bends in the trapway. I pulled to old A/S Cadets out yesterday that had 1-5/8" outlets, which were plugging often for the homeowners. I installed a couple of TOTO Entrada's for him. You might try one and see how you like it.
Of the pressure assist bowls, the Kohler is the best one. Better than the American Standard or the Gerber.

I sell all brands, and of them, the TOTO gets the most repeat sales. I've sold and installed thousands.

cst243ef_blue_1.jpg

TOTO Entrada

Last edited:

Rinoz

Reaction score
Yes it's just paper we're plunging - nothing else. Thanks for the info, it's very helpful. I'll look into the Entrada and check out that one.

Rinoz

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful info. I got sidetracked on another project and am now back to making a decision on these toilets. Question about the rough in measurements. We have tile walls - the Kohler we have is measuring 12 inches and the the Glacier Bay is measuring 13inches. I was hoping to maybe get 2 Entradas. The Entrada is 12, right? Do I need to choose something different to replace the Glacier Bay? Also, is there another option that comes in the taller comfort height? My main concern is just getting something that works much better in there, but if I have a choice for a slightly taller height, I'm interested in checking out those options.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
If you have 12" and 13" from the finished wall to the center of the closet bolts (the centerline of the flange), the Entrada will be fine on both.

Call around to your local plumbing supply stores (look in the Yellow Pages) with the exact model number and color you want, and ask for their best price if you came in today to buy it (they will usually have to order). You will be surprised by the range of prices (and friendliness) you get. I usually call 5. You will find: nice and expensive, nasty and expensive, nasty and cheaper, and nice and cheaper. Obviously, I prefer to go with the last one.

The Toto "list prices" are what you would pay a professional decorator. That you said that the Pressure Kohler was cheaper made me think you probably hadn't compared prices from other sources than the Toto web site. HD sells the Entrada for about 70 percent of that list. I think you will find that some local plumbing supply places will do even a little better.

Rinoz

Reaction score
I found a store nearby that had a great price and 2 in stock to bring home today. Thanks!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I found a store nearby that had a great price and 2 in stock to bring home today. Thanks!

Fantastic!!!

Results like that make my day, and make it worthwhile to spend the time trying to be helpful on this forum.

Let us know how you like them. I just installed a Clayton, which has the same flush as the Entrada, in my 92-year-old Dad's bathroom, and he loves it.

Rinoz

Reaction score
Just installed the two Entradas this weekend. Love them - what a difference they make! Thanks for all the advice!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The general population opinion is that there aren't differences between brands of toilets other than style...the sad truth is that there some significant differences between at least some. IMHO, Toto has their act together.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks