Need New Tankless Electric

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul Gatto

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just bought a house in Florida. The master bath has a dedicated CEC/Bosch AE-115 electric tankless water heater and the rest of the house is on a traditional tank style unit.

The CEC/Bosch unit just barely warms the water when it's flowing, and when the tap is turned off, the unit keeps popping the thermal cut-offs. I'm thinking that it either needs a new control board or new heating elements. Either way, I'm not sure I want to invest any cash in this 10 year old unit that has never been descaled. (No provisions for descaling were installed and it's all soldered in.)

I'm aware of the shortcomings of electric tankless units in general, but do you guys have any thoughts on which ones are the best of the bunch? I just want to replace this one with something a little higher quality.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

BadgerBoilerMN

Hydronic Heating Designer
Reaction score
Website
www.badgerboilerservice.com
We install and service Bosch, Navien, Noritz, Rinnai and Takagi tankless water heaters here in Minnesota. All the units are give acceptable results when properly sized, installed and maintained.

The first order of business it soft water. Without it, be it electric or gas, you will have a through away water heater much like the conventional tank models.

I would get a bid to replace the elements vs the WH and decide from the sound advice of the local tech.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Parts of FL are seeing some record cold this season, and that will affect the ability of any tankless (or tanked, for that matter) WH's ultimate performance. It really sounds like that thing needs a thorough descaling if you decide to keep it. That may be all that is required to bring it back to its original capabilities. In most places in the USA, electric WH is the most expensive way to heat water. That certainly isn't true everywhere, but it is the majority. It is the easiest to install, though - no gas lines, or propane lines, vents, air makeup, or whatever you use to power it up and make it function well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks